Dubrovnik or Prague

Sep 15th, 2007, 05:18 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Dubrovnik or Prague

I just came back from my trip to London and Bath and want to start planning next year's trip. I'm debating between Dubrovnik or Prague, which I'm very interested in both.

I would most likely go in Sept, I'm a single female. I like photography, architecture, history, I like to be able to walk alot. My budget for hotels is usually between $125 - $175 a night and I'm not a foodie.

As some of you may remember from past posts, my first trip to Europe was in 2003, to Italy on a tour, where I went just about all over Italy. In 2004, I went to London on my own for a 1 1/2 week. 2005, for 2 weeks, again on my own, I went to Paris, drove through Normandy, then with the train went on to Brugges & Brussells, then concluded my trip in Amsterdam. 2006, I returned to Venice, again on my own for 9 days (WAS WONDERFUL!) and the trip I just returned from was 4 days in Bath and 8 days in London.
Given all of the above, which one would you suggest, Dubrovnik or Prague? With Prague, I was considering including Austria in my trip.

I'm undecided, so I thought I'd ask your opininons.

Thanks
Sep 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM
lyb
Original Poster

anyone? help!
Sep 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Prague.Prague and only Prague.
Sep 16th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Both are amazing, but very different places. Lots of wonderful architecture and urban spaces to photograph and experience in both.

Prague is a much larger city with more to see and do. If you like concerts in beautiful old buildings, Prague is the place. Just Castle Hill and the Charles Bridge make it worth the trip. You could easily spend 4 or 5 days in Prague. Prague is a bit like Paris, without an attitude. (I'll get in trouble for that.) On the Prague trip I also did Vienna, Budapest and Krakow. So, it would be easy to at least include Austria by train.

Dubrovnik, at least within the walls of the old town, you could do in a couple days. There's just less to see and do. It's especially nice in the mornings and evenings when the cruise ship people aren't there. From Dubrovnik, I rented a car and did Montenegro for a day. In Croatia, I only did some of Itria and flew to Dubrovnik, and returned via Zagreb, so I can't really address other places near Dubrovnik.

Just a thought. If you really want to see Dubrovnik, SkyEurope has inexpensive flights from Prague on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Perhaps you could fly there for a couple days or do an open jaw and return from there. One problem with Dubrovnik, is getting there easily if you don't fly.

Here are my photos from the Croatia trip. Sorry Prague was pre-digital for me.
http://www.pbase.com/jeff_b/croatia_2006
Sep 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM

How long are you planning to stay in either destination? Dubrovnik and Prague are amongst my favourite cities on the planet so I would have difficulties choosing between them. Prague is larger and therefore there is more to do but Dubrovnik is located in such a spectacular area that it cannot be beat. Both have great symphonies and such. I won't mention the food as you are not a foodie...

It is possible to get great sweeping views from both cities. I am at a loss - I truthfully do not know which I would pick if I were you. I loved them both SO MUCH!
Sep 16th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Sorry - I missed a few things from my post of a moment ago. Both have great history (Dubrovnik is ancient but also has recent history); Prague would be my choice for architecture; both are walking cities. You can walk the walls around Dubrovnik but can walk your feet off in Prague as well.
Sep 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Another vote for Prague. I did both those cities on my own a few years ago and found myself with a bit too much downtime in Dubrovnik. I also went to Split and Hvar and saw more of Croatia but it was difficult in that I didn't meet other travelers there and found it a little too quiet for a solo traveler.

When I went to Prague I also went to Cesky Krumlov and then down to Salzburg if you are looking for other places to add to Prague.
Sep 16th, 2007, 01:10 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Thank you everyone...as to how long, in total, I usually like to spend about 2 weeks for my European vacations.

Prague definitely seems to be the winner is. I was thinking of maybe 5 - 7 days in Prague and use the rest of the time for Austria?

So much to plan and think about...but that's why I start as soon as I come back from my previous trips...I usually go through quite a few versions of my trip...first there's all the cities and things I'd like to see and do and then, I end up paring it down to something more reasonable. I like to take my time in cities and really get to know them.

As far as Dubrovnik, one of my friends suggested that I include it on a return trip to Venice (which there will definitely be one), she thought, fly to Venice, spend some time there, take the train to Croatia, or as someone mentioned, fly to Croatia.

The options are limitless, aren't they? and that's the fun of traveling.
Sep 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Jeff,

Your pictures of Croatia are beautiful! I love being by the water, so those pictures really tempt me.

If only I could win that lotto and be able to do at least 2 trips a year!!!!!
Sep 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM

I haven't been to Prague yet but I loved loved loved Dubrovnik! It was just stunning. If you are interested in reading a report from a solo tourist's visit, look for Barb's report. She went last October, right before we went, and is going back this October. She is a female travel and I think she is spending a week this time. Her screen name is "Barb" so you should be able to find it...it may help a little.

If you are interested, my pics from our Croatia trip can be found at www.kodakgallery.com/tracybates. Just pan down until you find the Croatia album.

And FYI, Dubrovnik is small so 3-4 days would be plenty. However, there is plenty to do in the immediate surroundings. You could easily visit one of the islands in the Dubrovnik area or take a daytrip (highly recommended) to Montenegro, which is just as stunning as Croatia.

Tracy
Sep 16th, 2007, 02:30 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Tracy,

Your pictures and all the other pictures of Dubrovnik are making this such a difficult decision....I wonder if it would make sense to do both Prague and Dubrovnik, not a usual combo, but....

I will look up Barb's report...I've always enjoyed her reports anyway.

Decisions, decisions.....

Sep 16th, 2007, 02:31 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Since it seems like it's going to be difficult to make a decision between these two cities...I just had a thought... Does anyone know if one city is cheaper than the other? That might be something I can add in the pile in order to make what will be a very difficult decision.
Sep 16th, 2007, 03:04 PM

lyb--

Thanks. I just found your "view of the world" photos from another thread. So nice! Your comments really personalize the already great photos. Think it may be time for Venice again after many years.

I would guess that Prague would be more expensive for hotels. My room in Dubrovnik within the walls ( photos of it is under Lodging) was only about 55 euros a night. Hotel prices may be comparable in both cities, but many Fodorites and others stay in B&Bs or apartments which are quite reasonable. Again, "Dubrovnik barb" is will have lots of ideas. She'll really be the expert after this trip. It's been a few years since I went to Prague, but would think a hotel would be well over 100 euros now.

I too went to Cesky Krulov for a couple nights between Vienna and Prague. It's a little difficult to get to, but worth it. Vienna is another great city and you can do Melk and some other towns on the Danube very easily as a day trip. But I'm lukewarm about Salzburg.
Sep 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM

lyb,

Well I have to say I am totally in love with Croatia and specifically Dubrovnik and have not been to Prague (although I am thinking maybe next year?). I spent a week there last Oct. and kept telling myself, you have to go back and spend more time. Yes, 3-4 days you could see everything, but it takes more time to just "be" there and soak it all up. I stayed in a very inexpensive apt. right in the old town. In fact, it was right next to the Pucic Palace. We had the exact same view, but my view was much, much less money!! Every morning I would awake to the sounds of the local farmers market setting up right under my window. I would lay there relishing the moment and anticipating another wonderful day in paradise.

I usually travel solo, and I think of all my solo travels, Croatia was the easiest to do on my own. Literally no crime, everything is pristinely clean, every one is just so darn happy. Not much of a language barrier either. I probably met more people there than I have in all my travels. It is relatively inexpensive compared to most of W.Europe.

After re-reading my journal when I got home, I noticed a reoccurring theme - "I am so happy here, I could stay here for weeks, I don't ever want to leave". So, even though I knew i really should go somewhere I had not been before, I could not resist the tug at my heart. There is just something about the sweet air, the light, the sparkling water and warm breezes that just cast a spell over me and beckons for my return.
Sep 17th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Well, to add to the confusion on your part.....I, like many others, love both places. Got back a few weeks ago and flipped over the Croatian coast. It is easy to do a day tour to Montenegro (we did with Atlas---I was with my oldest friend, also a solo woman)and to take the ferries to Korcula and Hvar. I am a real water person so this trip to Croatia was sheer bliss to me. It started in Venice then we took the train to Ancona and the fast catamaran to Split. Airfares from Venice to Croatia were steep, at least what I was able to fin online so that combo may not be one for your future plans.

The trip to Prague combined Krakow which I also liked a lot. Like you. I also like architecure, history and photography. Prague is magnificent as a city, fun to explore, etc., but my choice would be Dubrovnik....

Tracy---I enjoyed Benussi apartments in Dubrovnik so thanks for recommmending---you had stayed there, right? Barb---hope you have a great time in Korcula---say hi to Rezi from Kathy and Sue!

Kathy
Sep 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM

In case any of the teachers out there noticed, it should be "I would lie there ..." fingers were going faster than the brain.
Sep 17th, 2007, 04:24 PM

lyb - I did Prague as a solo female in 2004 and had a great time. In fact, it was my first solo trip but I found it very easy. I combined it with Italy (where I had been on previous trips) and found it just as easy to communicate and get around. I wouldn't really recommend the hotel I stayed at as it was pretty low end, but it was cheap (about 35€ eqivalent) and great location. So if you don't mind really shabby furnishings you could consider it, it wasn't that bad (it was the Hotel Avalon Tara). I'd probably look for something a litter nicer on my next trip. Everything else was quite inexpensive as I remember. I was there for about 6 days, with one day trip to Cesky Kumlov (on a day tour). My photos of Prague are at www.pbase.com/annforcier

Barb - I'm seriously considering Croatia for next summer. I don't know yet if that trip will be solo or with one of my traveling companions, but hearing that you liked it so well as a solo female is great. I'll search for your trip report.
Sep 17th, 2007, 08:46 PM

isabel-
Wonderful photos! I just added you to my pbase favorites list for future trip planning.
Sep 17th, 2007, 09:26 PM
lyb
Original Poster

wow, gives me a lot to think about...and btw, thank you all for the distraction. I really needed it right, I have been waiting for the police to show for that past 5 hours! My parents are currently in Europe and their house got broken into...the alarm company called me at work, where I rushed from. And now, after boarding up the door and window that the thugs broke to get in, I'm sitting here waiting and waiting for the Sacramento cops to show up.. It's been 5 hours!!

So, though that was totally off the subject, I really thank you for the distraction.