Dubrovnik-Old Town-Question

Apr 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Dubrovnik-Old Town-Question

I've read that within the walled city it gets quite congested & someone suggested doing the city the opposite direction. Does anyone know what this would mean? Do most people enter through the Pile Gate? Is there another entry into the walled city? Any suggestions as to how to avoid the crowds?
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:55 PM

If you are coming from a cruise ship, there will be no way to avoid the crowds, but if you are going off season, it won't be too bad. You can enter through the Ploce Gate on the opposite end to the Pile Gate. Ploce is close to the Old Harbor.
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM
mjs

It does not matter in my opinion which way you go if it is crowded. Best way to avoid crowds would be to go as much off season as you can. Crowds in the summer are awful.
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Just go straight up onto the ramparts/city walls that encircle the town. Walk all the way around, getting the big picture of its physical setting and artistic integration. Only then should you delve into the depths of the masses.
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Hi gipsy...

I was in Dubrovnik at the end of last September for 5 days. A few of those days the cruise passengers swarmed the city, and that was only 2 ships at maximum. I was told in the early summer there can be as many as 12 ships.

Regarding walking the walls...I entered at the Ploce Gate when they first opened, it was sometime between 8am and 9am. There were very few people walking the walls when I first started, but by the time I was half way around there were more people, but it wasn't packed like it was later in the day. Remember though, that was at the end of September.