Dublin to Mallow driving question

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Delores

Dublin to Mallow driving question

I'd like to know if this is doable. Leave Dublin on a Sat morning, do a quick tour of Powerscourt Gardens, drive through Glendalough, cut over to Carlow via Tullow, and briefly see Kilkenny Castle, then on down the highway to Mallow for dinner. ?? We have driven on the left before and will have an automatic. Have any of you tried this? Thanks in advance.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 03:49 PM
Cathy

Delores,
It is possible to drive but not to stop and se anything. In Ireland you should allow twice the amount of time you would normally do at home to travel half the distance and then double it again to allow for traffic jams etc.

The roads from Wicklow to Carlow and Tullow are not built for a quick journey. Last weekend for example was a holiday weekend in Ireland and in addition there was a Gaelic Football match in Thurles between Dublin and Kerry with fans travelling to Thurles from both directions. Some people left Dublin at 10am and still did not get to Thurles in time for the match at 3.00pm. I would adviseleaving Dublin (the N11 out of Dublin is a very busy road prone to traffic jams), see Powerscourt and then on to Kilkenny and see the Castle and spend the night in Kilkenny. The driving alone would wreck you not to mention the traffic. I am offering this advice as an Irish person who drives the Irish roads frequently,
Hope it helps,

Hope this helps.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Rose

Cathy, can you tell me what a drive from Dublin to Lanesboro, Co. Longford would entail-I have not driven in Ireland before and plan on coming to Ireland in February? Thanks in advance

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:10 PM
anonymous

to the top

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:58 PM
mikey

Assuming coming from Airport vice city which is not recommended it is all major roads and should take 2 -- 3 hrs maximum M1 to loop to N4 to Longford

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 09:01 PM
mikey

Make that M50 to M4/N4

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Cathy

Rose,
Apologies I did not see your post but the directions given by mike are sufficient and these are good roads for drivers coming to ireland for the first time.

However be warned that the road is part dual carriageway and part single lanes and that after Mullingar it is not as good as around Dublin.

The worst part will be leaving the airport as the airport traffic erges with the traffic from the M1 (the Dublin to Belfast road) on a roundabout. Getting onto the roundabout stay in the righthand lane and keep in the righthand lane as you go around the roundabout, taking the first exit and stay in that lane until the merging traffic has merged but do cross over to the left hand as it is the slow lane and also you will need to be in the left hand lane for the first exit onto the M50, and once on the M50 then take the exit AFTER the toll booth (have change ready - coins etc) on to the N4 roundabout and go 3/4 around it before joining the N4 and then it is a straight road down to Longford.

The alternative option is for you to take a bus from the airport into the city centre and then one down to Longford and use a car hire firm in the area. see ww.cie.ie for links to bus and/or train networks.

Avoid travelling at peak times and at weekends if possible as the M50 and the N4 are very busy and there are long tail backs into Enfield each evening as the commuters leave Dublin. See www.roadwatch.ie for tips on driving in Ireland and up dates on roadworks etc, just remember to take your time and relax.

Hope this helps,

Cathy

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Cathy

Rose,

I meant to say take the second exit off the airport roundabout - the brain and the hands were not co-ordinated. If you need any more assistance or help either post or email me, I am very familar with
the airport run,

Cathy