Search

Dublin Theater

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 05:47 PM
Jon

Dublin Theater

We will be with a tour group in June and have an opportunity as an "optional" to go to a Dublin Theater. The tickets are a little pricey and being an American, I am wondering if I will be able to understand the play, what should I expect, are they dramas/comedies? Thanks for any insights.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 06:21 PM
Patrick

Last year saw a wonderful production of A Streetcar Named Desire in Dublin starring academy award winner Frances McDormand at The Gate. Also saw a fun comedy about an Irish catholic dysfunctional family at the Abbey Theatre. There are all kinds of plays, just depends what is playing and where. Pricey? We paid about $35 for Streetcar. Would have been double that in New York, and it was easily Broadway quality.

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 04:33 AM
Maribel

Jon, <BR>Two years ago we saw a riveting production of Juno and the Paycock at the Abbey Theater-the acting rivaled what we've seen in London at the Royal National Theater, and the tickets were reasonably priced by Broadway standards. (We were also with a tour group whose leader arranged dinner and the theater for us.) I would urge you to jump at the chance to see anything at the Abbey or the Gate (when we were there Streetcar had not yet opened-were sorry we missed it), as you'll be very impressed by the high quality of both theaters' productions.

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 07:12 AM
Cathy

Dear Jon, <BR>It is as difficult if not more difficult to get tickets to shows in Dublin Theaters than it is to get tickets to shows in London. Most of the Dublin performances transfer straight to Broadway and later to Hollywood scripts and the movies. I would suggest than you jump at the opportunity. Irish literature and theater is one of the things that Ireland is famous for - check out the Writers Museum on Parnell's Sq while you are in Dublin. The drama etc tend to be deep - reflected social and historic issues past and present in Ireland and they give an insight into the country that you will be touring. As regards whether you will understand it or not we all speak English as our 1st language here so you should have no problems. If you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Moira

Jon -- I'm really surprised that the tickets are pricey. Last year I bought tickets for great seats for a Saturday night at the Abbey Theatre for, I think, about $22 a seat (the last time I paid that price in NY I was sitting in the ceiling with the lights below me). Can you arrange your own theatre plans? I had called the Abbey a month before our trip to find out what was playing and to book seats, but now the Abbey and Peacock have a web site that allows you to book online through TicketMaster, as well as read about what's playing: http://www.abbeytheatre.ie/

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 04:30 PM
Jon

Thanks for all of your replies. I love this site; everyone is always so helpful and to think I'm talking to people anywhere in the world, truly amazing. By the way, tickets are $45 and as we get more information on which particular theater/performance we are going to, I will post it as I might have more questions also. Yes, you've convinced me to go - Thanks for your time everyone!