Dublin itinerary

Search

Dublin itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2019, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin itinerary

Hi All, I love coming to this forum for all your advice and I am hoping you can help again.

I am visiting Dublin the first week of November arriving Wednesday afternoon and leaving Monday morning. While I won't have much time for sight-seeing in the evenings Wednesday and Thursday, I will have time on Friday evening and all of Saturday and Sunday. I love walking through cities and getting lost; meandering through off the beaten path streets in a city and visiting churches, libraries, bookshops and shopping areas. I am on a budget and won't be spending much in terms of shopping but love window shopping and maybe finding one or two pieces. I am wondering therefore whether I should spend both Saturday and Sunday in the city or spend Saturday in the city and head to the Cliffs on Sunday. I am not sure I love the idea of being on a bus for 4 hours to get somewhere and I fly out very early morning on Monday. Welcome your thoughts for an itinerary.

Cheers.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 04:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
No to cliffs. I would go to Howth on the dart train and walk the cliffs there or go Glendalough on a tour. A lot depends on the weather. It could be very cloudy and foggy that time of the year. All the National museums are free and there is a fun literary tour you can book for the evening, not expensive but you might enjoy. I would also look to see what is playing at the many theatres. lovindublin.com is a good site to tell you what's on. Enjoy, next time for us will be December and we are staying in the city.
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 09:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would enjoy Dublin for the few days you are there. There are many things to do and see in town for a few days. If really wanted to go see nature, then Glendalough is a day trip.
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 04:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
As a family we have visited Dublin twice; and I three times when I moved DD into her hall this past August. So on this experience I can offer my thoughts.

On our first city break (3 days) was in a February and we toured the usual sights; my trip report is here for the basics of a first-time visit. On this holiday we had a gorgeous outing to Howth, as suggested above, but I think we had the luck of the Irish with us on the weather. Our second visit was in an April for just a couple of days, where we added Dún Laoghaire (don't bother) and the EPIC Immigration Museum (worth the time, we thought).

For the third visit I added Dublin Castle and the Chester Beatty Museum, along with a fast-paced day trip to Belfast in between helping DD settle into her room, but did not write a travel report. If I had to plan itineraries all over again I would put the Chester Beatty first, but that is because we like Middle Eastern art.

Hope this is helpful.
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were in Dublin for 3 days in early September. I want to add a “thumbs up” for both the Emigration Museum and the Chester Beatty Museum. We also really enjoyed the gaol tour (and the taxi ride there - great talker/guide as a driver).