Dublin--Galway honeymoon help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! I posted yesterday about my serious need for help planning my honeymoon. My fiance and I sat down last night and figured out more of a plan, so I'd like to propose what we sketched out. It is all open to change, and I'd love to hear everyone's input on it.

Days 1-2
We fly into Dublin, and arrive very early on Sept. 20. We were planning on staying in Dublin for two days. Any suggestions for accomodations would be appreciated! While in Dublin, we were thinking of seeing the Guinness Storehouse and the Book of Kells. Any other suggestions for "must see" type of things?

Day 3
After leaving Dublin on Sept. 22, we were going to heat to Counties Wicklow/Wexford/Waterford. We were thinking of spending one night in that area. Don't have anywhere in mind for where to stay (towns or B&Bs!), but have heard good things about Enniscorthy (am open to change!). Any ideas for "must see/do" things in this area?

Day 4-5
Leaving that area, we were planning on heading to County Cork for two nights. We've heard good things about Cork City and Kinsale -- would these be good places to stay? We've been told to go to Youghal on our way to Cork City. Suggestions for things to do?

Day 6
We were thinking of going to Killarney. I've heard great things about the Fairview, and was going to contact them for availability. Other suggestions are also welcome! While there, we wanted to do the Ring of Kerry (were told to do it counterclockwise).

Day 7
We were thinking of heading to Dingle.

Day 8
Thinking of heading to Doolin. Hve heard great things about the Sea View, will contact them for availability.

Day 9-12
For these days, we were planning on heading to the Galway area. Want to see the Aran Islands for sure, but were open for other suggestions. Haven't a clue for accomodations.

As I said, any of this is open to change. I'd love to hear any input -- accomodations, sights, must see/dos, anything. I'm mainly interested in B&Bs, and am willing to splurge on that special somewhere for this once in a lifetime trip!

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Update -- I've booked the Sea View for day 8. They have availability for day 9 as well...anyone have any recommendations for if I should book that as well?

Looking forward to any responses!
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 09:55 AM

TTT
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 10:48 AM

One more time.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 12:28 PM

nsgriff: I'll top this tomorrow for you. I think things are a little slow on weekends. Your trip sounds good to me. I believe people could help you more on accommodations if we knew the price range. Doolin is a very small scattered village. Sea View is in the midst of it on a very steep hill. I like slow travel, so it you settle in for 2 nights, gives you time to see the cliffs and the Burren. Give us a price range and I'm sure you'll get more help. My best, Joan
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Canadian6 -- I'm not sure that I understand your reply.

Joan -- Thanks for your reply. As for a price range/what we are looking for, I'm definitely not interested in staying in hostels. I am interested in B&Bs and small guesthouses -- character! For a price, I don't want to be cheap, or driving myself nuts looking for a deal. I'd say no more than 250 euros a night; however, I'm willing to splurge for that special somewhere for this trip of a lifetime!

I've also heard back from a number of places in Dublin that have availability: Fairview Guesthouse (although I think that's in Killarny), Waterloo House, Kilronan House, The Clarence (probably too up-ity!), King Sitric, Belcamp Hutchinson, and Harrington Hall. If anyone's got any input about any of those, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks again, and I look forward to any responses!
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 03:04 PM

I'll give you my thoughts - we just came back from 10 days in Ireland. In Dublin we stayed at a place called the Mespil hotel - it was a good walk from trinty college and Grafton Street. I found the major attraction in Dublin to be Trinty College and Dublin Castle and Christ Chruch and St. Patricks. Our taxi driver said that the Guinness tour was a must. To be frank it was disappointing it is not an actual tour of the brewrey but a pictorial history that is on 5 floors and ends on the top floor which has a great view of Dublin. Other than the view it is hardly worth the 14 euros unless your a historian of brew processes. We say a great hotel called Jury Inn that is just up from the Temple Bar district and down from the Christ Church Cathederal. Don't know the price the Mespil was pretty reasonable.

From Dublin we went to Kilkenny and stayed outside the city. We did stay at Yougal - it was very interesting,> we stayed on the Front Strand ( beach)- the B&B was a litlle run down. From Yougal when went to Cork - Blarney. Blarney Castle is a toursit trap. There are much nicer castles like Kilkenney Castle and Kings John Castle in Limerick. We drove from Blarney into Kinsale- we really like it - wished we had stayed a little longer. - The B&B was just a 15 minute walk called Kilcaw. From Kinsale we took the mountain route to Kenmare - spectacular. We had a great base in Kenamare called the Driftwood B&B. Great hosts ( Peter Williams - He is english and his wife is from Ireland. They have two master bedrooms overlooking the mountains and a golf course. The Bedrooms have access to a deck outside. They are within 10 minute walk from Kenmare - Which we really liked.

Cork is the shopping meca - not a place we stayed long in - only to get lost in the down town - I didn't like driving in Cork.

We did the ring of Kerry - our host Peter said advised us to do it clockwise. Counter clockwise is the bus route. It depends on what time you head out. If you start out early and do it clock wise you meet the buses in the tricky spots. But if you wait to 10 - 1030 you will see them on the flat lands. It took us a full day to do the ring - with a stop in Kilarney to see Ross Castle. Peter great advice was to stop and pull to the sides with the buses - pull your mirrors in and let the bus do all the work in the narrow passages.- They are the professional drivers. It really wasn't to bad. I found the trip bewteen Kinsale to Kenamre to be mor eexciting - you get to drive through these little tunnels in the rocks. through the Cahha Mountains.

Hope this helps - [email protected]
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 04:38 PM

nsgriff: Wow, did you mean 250 euro's a night? I think you could stay at some of the top hotels for that and the very best guest houses. Let me think about it over night. I have to stay at nice, comfortable places, but do try to watch the price. Your biggest expense will be Dublin. Well, I was going to say The Merrion but see it is around 304 euro. That's why I've started flying in and out of Shannon. I'd like to spend time in Dublin but it's just too expensive. I always travel with a companion and have to pay for 2 rooms. I've stayed in Hunter's Hotel in Rathnew in county wicklow, but you'd want to travel futher down. Rathnew is only about an hour from Dublin. If I ever go back to Kinsale, I'd stay at Old Bank House if there were rooms or Blue Haven(have stayed). Cork is OK, I enjoy being in smaller places . You can type in the SEARCH in Ireland for Killarney, Kenmare, and Dingle. You'll get tons of info. Now, to The Burren where Doolin is close to. When I go back I'll stay in Gregans Castle near Ballyvaughan. Google it and you'll see why. I've been by it so many times but have not stayed. Another place I have stayed near Doolin is Sheedy's House Hotel in Lisdoonvarna. Very, very comfortable and a great family. Hope this helps some. I know you'll get more help tomorrow. My Best, Joan
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Joan and JPoh, thank you both for your replies! I really appreciate your input! JPoh, it sounds like I'm planning something very similar to your recent trip.

Joan -- I guess what I'm trying to say in terms of pricing is that I'm open to a wide range of places. I definitely don't want hostels or common bathrooms, and I am willing to splurge on that special place, if it's worthwhile. I'm not saying that I want to spend 250 EVERY night, but would do so if the place was incredible/highly recommended/exactly what we were looking for.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 12:30 PM

nsgriff: I understand about your price range. I'm hoping one of the Fodorites in Dublin will give you some help. I was booked at King Sitric one year. It's a 20 minute tram ride to the center of town, but very nice looking and I liked being not too far from the airport. Couldn't go that year because of an illness. Also, Waterloo looks good. I liked Greenmount in Dingle. Also hear good things about Heaton's. There are a few good Guesthouses in Kenmare. Killarney I stayed at Killarney Park , very expensive, but nice. I'd pick a Guesthouse, if I had it to do again. Joan
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:06 AM

nsgriff - posted this on another post of yours -

for that something a little bit extra special try this link

http://www.irelands-blue-book.ie/

The accomodations listed are a little above the average B&B and hotel in terms of price and a huge jump in terms of comfort and character - but then if you're on honeymoon one or two nights in these accomodations will help make it special.

Most of the properties are old manor houses or stately homes that now recieve guests and are usually located on large private estates. I have stayed at quite a few of them and have always had a memoraable relaxing stay.

Just my two cents - congrats and hope you have a great stay in Ireland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:15 AM
JFlorides

My favourite hotel in Wicklow is Tinakilly House, an old country manor on the way from Dublin down to Wicklow / Wexford. It's fairly close to Wicklow town I think, but it's the kind of place where they do an all in price for one nights dinner and stay - the restaurant is excellent and the place itself has lovely lake walks and a number of open fires where you can sit and have a pre-dinner drink or retire for coffee afterwards. Very civilised altogether! May be too formal for some tastes, but my husband and I love it (both around 30). I think their website is www.tinakilly.ie so you can have a look and see what you think.

If you do go there,
1. get a superior room, well worth the extra money. The standard rooms are very basic
2.tell them it is your honeymoon, they will look after you.

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:19 AM
JFlorides

Oh, and for Galway, a couple of suggestions if you wanted somewhere special to stay in Connemara:
A big hit with couples/honeymooners is Ballynahinch Castle, near Maam Cross and not too far from Roundstone. A good base from touring North Connemara. A castle in a beautiful setting with open fires in the bar area and fishermen coming in with their catch at the end of the day
Or, closer to Roundstone, either Cashel House or Zetland House, both country houses practically next door to each other, both offering excellent food and a very nice atmosphere

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:33 AM

nsgriff: I agree with Pastup on The Blue Book. I've stayed in a number of their properties and have been happy. Jflorides mentioned good places. I loved my three days at Ballynahinch, didn't leave the grounds. Also, what I saw of SeaView in Doolin, looked good. Right there across from O'Connors Pub.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Your recommendations are all so helpful as I try to figure out what I'm doing.

We've continued to work on this, and our new ideas are as follows:

Day one and two - Dublin
We are still looking for a hotel, although our top choices so far are:
The McEniff Grand Canal Hotel in the Ballsridge district (Grand Canal St, Dublin 4) and the Herbert Park Hotel - near the Dodder river and
Herbert Park. I'm leaning more to the Grand Canal Hotel, as they can offer us a room with a wraparound balcony on the 5th floor overlooking Dublin and the port. Any comment on either of these would be appreciated, and I'm open to other suggestions, too!

Day 3 - now we were thinking of staying in Youghal. Don't have any ideas for places to stay there yet.

Day 4 and 5 - Thinking of staying in Kinsale, although we haven't any ideas for accommodations yet.

Day 6 and 7 - Killarney. Staying at The Fairview (College Street)

Day 8 and 9 - Doolin. Staying at the Sea View

Day 10 and 11 - Galway. No idea for where to stay, although a friend has recommended Jury's hotel. Any ideas about that, or other recommendations?

Day 12 - Depart Galway for Shannon...so sad!

Things I want to see/do/visit...Burren, Slea Head Drive (Connors pass), Cliffs of Mohr, Ring of Kerry, Connemara, Glendalough Abbey, Aran islands, Killarney national park, Kenmare...

Is this all do-able?

Thank you again for your suggestions -- I'll definitely look into Ballynahinch Castle and also check out that website for the B&Bs!

In terms of accomodations, we are looking for somewhere nice, but in the middle of the action. I'm not interested in walking 10 miles home at night after a few Guinness!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:05 PM
JFlorides

On the Dublin Hotels, Grand Canal vs Herbert Park - Grand Canal is a good 15/20 mins walk closer to town. Herbert Park is a taxi ride away from the city centre although it is in a quieter, leafy setting right beside a big park, in the heart of Ballsbridge village. So if you want proximity to town go for the Grand Canal. I haven't stayed in either so can't comment on the facilities.

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, JFlorides! I just looked at the Fodors map and realized how far out Herbert Park is, which makes me think we don't want it. We're only in Dublin for two days (one of which is the day we arrive), so I think I'd rather be closer to the action! I'm off to email more Dublin hotels!