Search

Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 10:14 PM
D.

Dublin

I am going to Ireland in august for two weeks..i have been living in italy for two years so am not frightened but am worried a little about how well the irish receive black americans..it may sound trivial but this is something that crosses my mind..i mean there are places in america that aren't too 'color-friendly" so.....thanks to anyone with any responses..

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:26 AM
my

Until a few years ago I would have said that you would have had no problems. In the larger cities (esp. Dublin), there are many refugees from Africa who can't get work Visas but are paid a daily stipend which causes some consternation with Irelands working class. As long as you dress and act "american" you should not have a problem.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:49 AM
D.

thanks for the advice, I'd figured as much, although I haven't lived in the states for close to five years so i don't appear very american either, and i don't appear african either..i'd like to think of myself as a fairly decent looking girl who happens to be the shade of the brown crayon in the crayola box...

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Ann

You shouldn't have a problem. Dublin has become much more diverse in the past few years as the economy has been doing so well. But be prepared to hear words like "colored" and "darky" still being used. Of course, colored there refers to anyone who is not caucasion (sp), including Chinese and Japanese. <BR> <BR>You will not be mistaken for an African in Dublin. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Ann

You shouldn't have a problem. Dublin has become much more diverse in the past few years as the economy has been doing so well. But be prepared to hear words like "colored" and "darky" still being used. Of course, colored there refers to anyone who is not caucasion (sp), including Chinese and Japanese. <BR> <BR>You will not be mistaken for an African in Dublin. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Thyra

Since similar questions are posted quite often on this board, when a female African American co-worker of mine took off work for 3 months in Europe on her own.. I asked her to share all of her experiences with me. <BR>According to her, all across Europe the reaction she most encounterd was curiosity, about African American Youth Culture, (rap music, fashions, particular artist etc). She said that everyone she met was friendly, however,as stated before.. what may go for "politically correct" speak in the USA doesn't necessarily hold true all over.. she was called colored or black or variations on those titles several times, but she did not take it as insulting.