Reload this Page >

dual voltage problems?

Search

dual voltage problems?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:43 AM
chris

dual voltage problems?

has anyone ever had problems with dual voltage curling irons/straightening irons and adapters?<BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Elizabeth

I've had trouble with my hair dryer with adapter. I think I discovered that the hair dryer voltage was higher than the adapter capability.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Sparky

adapters don't have voltage, it's just a thing to change the shape of the prongs

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Wayne

Usually the standard plug-in converter is simply a transformer that changes the European voltage of 240 volts AC to the U.S. voltage of 120 volts AC. The frequency of the voltage in Europe is 50 hertz, and that in the U.S. is 60 hertz, and nothing is done in a converter to correct that usually minor difference. If someone has had trouble with a hair dryer or other product that uses a lot of power (watts) it is probably because the power-handling capability of the converter is less than the power demand of the appliance (hair dryer or whatever). You need to check the maximum watts used by your hair dryer or other appliance, and buy a converter that can handle that wattage. All converters will specify their max wattage. At power levels which are at the max allowed by the converter, you might find that the 50 hertz frequency of the electricity also has a detrimental effect. A higher frequency of the line voltage can be more easily transformed (within certain limits)--thus there can be a small power loss through a converter. However, good converters are designed to handle the lower 50 hertz frequency and still provide a full power transfer.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Wayne

I forgot to add the most important point: If you have a dual-voltage hair dryer, the converter is built into the dryer. Usually the built-in converters are rather cheaply made because they have to take up minimum space and weight. I'd consider opting to buy a good quality plug-in converter and using it with the hair dryer set on the normal U.S. voltage.