Reload this Page >

dry cleaning other than hotel??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 07:47 AM
Marcie

We will be in Paris for 2 weeks (7th Ad.)and was wondering if there are dry cleaners on the street as in the U.S. rather than use the outrageous prices at the hotels....where do the Parisians go? Anyone know the price for a pair of men's slacks? Thanks!!

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 10:10 AM
Christina

Of course they have dry cleaners on the <BR>street in Paris. Look for a small shop with the title "Le Pressing" on it <BR>(weird Anglicization for "cleaners") or <BR>perhaps "nettoyage a sec" (dry cleaning). Your odds of finding one near your hotel are better if it is a <BR>quasi-residential area, not just tourist. You can always look in the <BR>yellow pages (pages jaunes) when you get <BR>there. I don't know cost as I've never <BR>used them, but I believe they are very <BR>expensive--more than in US, for example. <BR>But probably cheaper than your hotel. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 12:41 PM
Louis

I know there is a cleaners on Rue Cler. Cleaning and laundry is Paris is expensive. While we never had anything cleaned, it costs close to $5.00 to get my wife's shirt washed and pressed last year there.

Old Sep 18th, 1998, 03:24 AM
francesca

Dry cleaning is ridiculously expensive in Paris. Try the "5 a Sec" chain. They are cheap and can often turn stuff around the same day. There's one on avenue Suffren in the 7th. Have a good trip! <BR>

Old Sep 18th, 1998, 08:29 AM
Marcia

To each his own...but if it doesn't wash, I try not to take it. Of course, in cool/cold weather, that's hard to do, since one needs wool and other nonwashing stuff. All the above posts on costs are right. Horrendously expensive. We even used a do-it-yourself laundramat in London and it was astonishingly expensive. We noticed the locals were mostly washing sheets and towels and heavy things like jeans. Smaller things must get done by hand, just like in hotel rooms. <BR> Anyhow, our big discovery for this trip for men's and women's clothes was microfiber fabric. The men's slacks we had with us - and a pair of shorts I had, washed out and drip dried over the tub in a snap. No pressing required. They were amazing. I'm beginning to notice the fabric in major catalogues. We got ours from Travelsmith catalogue, but I just saw a couple of things in other fall catalogues. There is also a stretch version of it available under different labels, including the sports label, Esprit. Sierra Trader is another catalogue/discount outlet that sometimes has this stuff. It is well worth having - feels like a soft brushed silk. Cool in hot weather, but comfortable in cool weather.