COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

dropping 1night from 4 night reservation

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:04 PM
jim

dropping 1night from 4 night reservation

I reserved a hotel through Venere for 4 nights, and we have decided to change our itinerary and reduce the stay to 3 nights.

To change on Venere, though, it seems like the hotel will get the message that we're cancelling the whole thing and making a new reservation. Should I be worried? Anyone have experience with Venere doing this?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:41 PM
aaa

I booked thru Venere last year and had to cancel one night out of the reservation. After submitting thru Venere, the hotel e-mailed me directly; after that, all the correspondence was done that way. You should have gotten a response from the hotel by now and should have no problem in cancelling one night. Just make sure the hotel answers confirming the cancellation.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:43 PM
maria

Could you explain what is the advantage of booking through Venere rather than thorugh the hotel directly via e-mail?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Sherry

Hi Maria. I think sometimes booking through an agency produces lower prices then booking directly with a hotel. Also, an agency may have rooms available for nights when the hotel shows they are booked because a few rooms may be held for rental only by the booking service.
That is why it is always good to check all sources.
Also, some very small properties may not have their own website. It may be the only way you can get information (pictures, etc.) of a hotel you are interested in.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:29 PM
jim

Thanks for the replies. I'll contact the hotel directly, and not try to navigate Venere's modification board.

Re: maria's question, venere in particular is the only way on the interent to book several hotels. As I'm on the west coast, the alternative is to fax or call before I'm really awake, so I find the internet much more convenient.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:58 PM
x

Booking through an agency rarely produces lower rates, but frequently higher ones. Venere, in particular, often charges significantly more that dealing directly with the hotel.

You also set yourself up for the headaches that the original person describes. I really don't see any advantage at all in going through one of the parasite on-line booking agencies.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 01:05 PM
elaine

whether you use a booking agent or not, I always feel it is best to confirm directly with the hotel
(all the details: number of beds, tub vs shower, facing the courtyard, etc) and I would also make any changes directly with the hotel. You want to be the hotel's customer. Just ask for a fax or email confirming the changes.