drop heidelburg for wurzburg or bamberg

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just bought our tickets for germany today. Does heidelburg offer anything extra that these places dont. Will be arriving in frankfurt and want to go to munich, rothenburg, berlin and dresden. Seems like heidelberg is out of the way. Thinking of place to go first night after arriving in frankfurt. Then going on to rothenburg and munich and ending in berlin and dresden. thanks vic.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:21 AM

IMO Heidelberg isn't any more "out of the way" than Rothenburg, especially if you rae traveling by rail.

Why not just go to Rothenburg the first night?
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

we arrive at frankfurt at 5:30 pm. not enough time to go to rothenburg, last train stops early,
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Both Bamberg and Wurzburg are well worth a visit--with your itinerary I would suggest either over Heidelberg.

We much prefer Bamberg over either Heidelberg or Rothenburg. R'burg is just a bit too much like an amusement park experience for our taste--though it is certainly a worthy daytrip destination for the photographic opportunities it offers.

Bamberg's Altstadt, unlike R'burg's, is still an integral part of the working city, not a separate tourist enclave.

But a LOT of people would disagree with me about R'burg.
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Much comes down to personal tastes. My wife and I stopped at Würzburg our first 3 nights in Germany this year and it was a high spot of our trip. We intend to visit it next year with our kids.

There is a large pedestrian zone in the old town with many shops as well as tourist sights. My daughter and wife have shopping down to pleasureable art.

I really liked the castle (Marienberg Festung) across the river.

That said, Heidelberg with its castle is very nice as well. No experience with Bamberg.

Regards, Gary
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:48 AM

montrealvic,

If I understand your question, you are arriving in Frankfurt and looking for a place to go 'first', and then on to Rothenburg, Munich etc.

Wurzburg would be a good choice if you are looking for convenience to the airport, and to Rothenburg. Wurzburg is is an easy one hour twenty minute train ride from the airport, and only one hour from Rothenburg.

However, if you are looking for the most interesting town to go to, I would personally select Bamberg. It is a very authentic, original Franconian city that is truly one of Germany's gems. It is one hour from Wurzburg bytrain, so therefore, 2 from Rothenburg. Bavaria ticket, low cost.

Nothing against Wurzburg, or Heidelberg, as they both have their interesting castles, and features, but neither compare to the UNESCO city of Bamberg.
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. we will drop heidelberg and go to either babmberg or wurzburg. then on to rothenburg. hiw about munich it is a bit out of the way becuse we want to go to berlin and dresden at the end of our trip
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM

I agree with Bamberg also. Bamberg is the best of the three choices you have listed and we are visiting Bamberg again in Sept. Check out bamberg.de and pick tourism link and it will give you some ideas about what to see in Bamberg.