Dromoland Castle or Adare Manor?

Jun 20th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Kathy

Dromoland Castle or Adare Manor?

My husband and I are splurging on our trip to Ireland... but are debating which place to stay for our first three nights. Any input or comparison between these two hotels? Thanks!

Jun 20th, 2001, 11:24 AM
kam

Either is a great choice but the main attraction in both cases is the golf. Are you planning to play golf? If not, Dromoland is probably a better choice as a castle hotel. In Adare is the Dunraven Arms--very nice hotel in town. From there you can walk to Adare Manor. There are some great hotels in Ireland.

Jun 20th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Linda R.

My husband and I were in Adare a few weeks ago. We drove onto the property of Adare Manor. The garden out front is very nice but we couldn't get into the hotel itself. Only those that are staying there could go in.

Linda R.

Jun 20th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Linda R.

OH, Sorry!! I didn't read your message right. Thought you wanted to go SEE one or the other.

Sorry again! Linda R.

Jun 21st, 2001, 04:44 AM
elaine

Kathy,

In Adare, we stayed at Dunraven Arms (which was most enjoyable!). We were right across the road from Adare Manor and we took a 'tour' not only of the grounds (which are magnificent) but also the sleeping rooms. The rooms were very lovely. While we did not see Dromoland Castle, you may want to consider a stay at Adare Manor, as Adare is such a charming village (yes it is 'touristy') but worth seeing nonetheless. Enjoy your trip to Ireland!

Jun 21st, 2001, 06:27 AM
herself

Kathy, That is quite a splurg. I have not stayed at Adare Manor but a friend of mine always stays there and swears by it. I have stayed at Dromoland and it is total luxury. The beds are the best. The grounds are beautiful and there are lovely walking paths through the woods. I don't think you can go wrong with either places. You could stay your first two nights in one and your last in the other. Then you could be one of the few who could compare the two.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 07:41 PM
Kathy

Thanks for the inputs... We have decided to stay at Dromoland since during the first part of our stay we will tour a bit north of there. Then after 3 days we'll go south to Killarney. Sounds like Adare is a place we need to see on the way.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 10:22 PM
kam

Kathy, certainly see the charming town of Adare on your way from Dromoland and the north of it to Killarney. Also, take a few minutes and stop in Tralee to see the rose garden of "Rose of Tralee" fame. Have a great trip. Did this just less than 2 years ago.