Driving Trip through Great Britain in Three Weeks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to take a driving trip through Great Britain and would like to spend about 3 weeks. We plan to go in the fall of 2010. Could we do England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales in that time frame or do we need to limit the countries? Does anyone have an itinerary that we might look at? Suggestions on places to see, B&B's to stay at , etc. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Could we do England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales in that time frame</i>"

You could "do" anything but this is way too broad to start w/. You are talking about 4 countries -- and one of which could easily fill 3 weeks. Plus one is across a body of water so you have the extra expense of ferrying car across (or renting a second car)

What research have you done already. No one can possibly give you useful advice w/o knowing something about what you want. Just a road trip w/o "seeing" much off the beaten path? Or specific places you want to see? Do you want to see the famous cities like London and Edinburgh, or mostly want countryside? Anything?

There are (w/o exaggerating) a thousand places you could go so you need to narrow things down a bit.

W/o knowing anything about you -- one option would be 3 weeks London > York >Northern England/Hadrian's Wall > a bit of Scotland. OR London > Bath > the Cotswolds, a bit of Wales and the Peak District. OR London > Kent > Hampshhire > a bit of Devon/Cornwall.

There are unlimited choices - so click on DESTINATIONS above and read up, check out a couple of guidebooks and focus a bit.

Once you have some ideas we can help you refine your plan -- but we can't design it for you from the ground up. . . . .
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 07:28 AM

I can certainly give you an itinerary for 3 weeks in Scotland.

What most do you want to get from your trip, tho'?

And have you driven here before?
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 07:45 AM
tod

Maybe you could find something of use in my 2008 Trip Reports on the UK:

http://tinyurl.com/n6hvaq

http://tinyurl.com/cwarzw
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 08:54 AM

In 1998 we spent 17 days driving from the tip of Cornwall (and around) by Tintern Abbey (Wales), the English Lake District, and the last 5 days in Scotland. It was arduous driving.

When I look back, I wish we could have broken it into three different trips but of course we were not sure we'd make it back.