Driving/train from Paris-Brussels

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Sami

Driving/train from Paris-Brussels

I understand driving in Paris is nuts, but for a party of six with seven pieces of luggage should I rent a minivan or two cars drive from one of the Paris airports to Brussels or take the train. Cost difference?

Apr 10th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Rex

I am very, VERY pro-car rental, but I think I would take the train for this. Unless you have some VERY compelling reason to have the car once you get to Brussels.

It might save $10-20 per peson to drive. Maybe moderately more flexible/convenient. But not nearly as fast. And just barely seems like worth the trouble.

It all comes down to what happens to the car once you get to Brussels.

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 10th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I second that. Take the Thalys from Paris Gare du Nord to Brussels Midi and the ride is less than an hour and a half.

Apr 10th, 2002, 04:18 PM
BTilke

You can catch a Thalys high speed train directly from CDG to Brussels. From Orly, you'd have to get to the Gare du Nord in Paris.
I recommend the train. I've taken the Thalys from Brussel to Paris and back over a dozen times and it's very comfortable. We've driven a few times and driving takes at least twice as long. And you never know when you're going to hit bad traffic or road blocks from angry unions or farmers (we got hit with one of those last year and it took us 10 hours and five detours to drive from Paris to Brussels).
Even with a minivan, fitting in 6 people with all their luggage would be tight.
FYI, the drive from Paris to Brussels is not particularly scenic.
BTilke (Brussels)

Apr 10th, 2002, 05:13 PM
sami

Thanks to all to you, my actual itinerary is Paris 3 days, Verviers, Belgium 3 days (wedding), Frankfort (2 days). [Brussels was to simplify, sorry]