Reload this Page >

Driving to Madrid

Search

Driving to Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 08:17 AM
alex

Driving to Madrid

while in Spain we allocated 7 days for driving to Madrid from Cordoba. We are thinking of going north and north/west of Madrid as far as time allows and there are interesting places to see. In Cordoba we are staing one day and 3-4 days in Madrid. I would appriciate any advise on where to stop and what to see during that 7 days trip to and arround Madrid.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 08:02 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Sandy

Two of my favorite places are Toledo and Cuenca. We stayed at the Parador in Toledo, high on a hill overlooking the Tagus River. Across the river, the city of Toledo, with it's narrow, cobbled streets and classic Arab, Jewish, Christian, Roman and Visigothic architecture. My hubby scoped out the Parador before check-in time then requested the corner room on the top floor with the best views of the valley. Cuenca is one of the most stunning places we visited in Spain. Another "medieval" town, the homes, businesses, hotels, everything are built right into the side of cliffs overlooking ravines. We stayed at the Hotel Leonor de Aquitaina in the town of Cuenca, overlooking a ravine overlooking the Parador, which is located opposite the town. The Parador looked beautiful too, but we wanted to experience life on the edge (our room hung over the 200' ravine). The "bad" news was that our trip was 3 or 4 years ago, so I can't comment on the quality of the hotel now or anything that might have changed in the towns since our visit.<BR><BR>You'll have a great time, wherever you go!

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 08:02 AM
John

Hi Alex,<BR><BR>We agree with Sandy - Toledo and Cuenca are worth time. Actually, we would continue to the North and East of Madrid, probably all the way to France.<BR><BR>Driving through Spain is something that should not be missed. Stopping in villages and out-of-the-way places can lead to unique experiences. The countryside is beautiful and offers a range of different ecological zones.<BR><BR>Our view is that choosing a place to stay in Spain is the easiest choice in any country anywhere - just pick the local Parador and you can not go wrong.<BR><BR>Have a great holiday.<BR>

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Pedro

On the way from Cordoba to Madrid I would say Ubeda/Baeza renaissance cities, Cazorla for its imposing location by the foot of the mountains and Almagro for its stunningly beautiful Plaza Mayor would deserve a visit. Seeing that you have seven days I would stay one night at the Parador in Ubeda perfectly located, visiting Baeza ( only 8 kms from Ubeda, beautiful although similar to Ubeda ) or Cazorla ( 30 kms from Ubeda, wonderful situation, typical andalusian village ). Then stopping at Almagro to see the Main Square and possibly have lunch there, I would go on to Madrid. If you set your base in Madrid you can do multiple day trips all of them worthwile:<BR><BR>-Segovia/Avila or Segovia/La Granja Palace.<BR><BR>-Cuenca<BR><BR>-Toledo<BR><BR>-Salamanca<BR><BR>-Aranjuez<BR><BR>-El Escorial<BR><BR>Cuenca is best seen at dusk or illuminated at night when the shades make more beautiful its imposing location. The Parador certainly is with the one in Ronda at the top of any Parador in Spain for its situation at the edge of the cliff. Salamanca also deserves to stay there. It is an elegant city packed with a rich architectural patrimony. Not as visited by tourists as Toledo or Segovia ( It is a bit further ).

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 08:41 AM
alex

Thanks to John, Pedro and Sandy for taking time to reply to my questions. We will definitely follow your advices.