Search

Driving times

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 06:58 PM
Ann

Driving times

Could anyone give me some approximate driving times from Dublin to Galway? Dublin to Cork? Cork to Dingle? <BR> <BR>Thanks so much.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 07:30 PM
Rex

Dublin to Galway <BR> <BR>Your estimated journey time is 2 Hours, 19 Minutes for 151 Kilometres. <BR> <BR>Dublin to Cork <BR> <BR>Your estimated journey time is 2 Hours, 40 Minutes for 168 Kilometres. <BR> <BR>Cork to Dingle <BR> <BR>Your estimated journey time is 2 Hours, 51 Minutes for 149 Kilometres <BR> <BR>Courtesy of www.euroshell.com <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 10:36 PM
Dinky

Rex...You dummy. That's a computer generated guesstimate. Ann will be driving...not flying!!!!! If you want real info from an expert go to this forum: http://www.irelandyes.com/forum.html Computers are great for some things but not judging distances in Ireland!!!

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 03:48 AM
celine

Ann, <BR>If you haven't been to Ireland before or if you haven't driven in Ireland before, it will take you a bit longer to get accustomed to driving on the left side of the road. <BR> <BR>I'm living in Ireland now, and can tell you that it would take me longer than 2 hrs. 20 minutes to get to Galway. I'd give it at least 3 hours--although it could be a little more or less depending on your driving. Given the other estimates Rex provided (from Euroshell), I'd say that Dublin to Cork would be at least four hours. <BR> <BR>Since I've never done it, I'm not sure about Cork to Dingle, but I'd probably add some time on to Euroshell's estimate. <BR> <BR>By the way, if you're staying in the city centre of Dublin and planning to leave the city on a week day, be sure to leave before rush hour begins (definitely arrive after 10am and leave before 4pm) or you'll get stuck in traffic trying to leave the city. (It's not a city that is prepared for all the traffic it gets.) I'm sure Galway and Cork are the same. <BR> <BR>Have fun.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Ann

Thanks so much for the information. We're just starting to plan our trip (for June) so I'll probably have some more question soon. We'll be traveling with our 4-year old son. So, unlike on our previous child-free trips, we want to have a pretty good idea of what we're going to do before we leave. Thanks!

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Linda

Ann, We were in Ireland last summer. The drive from Dublin to Killarney which is about 200 miles took us about 5 hours. Once you leave Dublin the roads can become 2-lanes for a good part of the journey. Dingle is lovely, but the roads on the peninsula are all 2-lane country roads. I live in a small up-state NY town and the "good" roads can often be like our secondary roads. They are narrow, but if you take your time it is fine. We saw so much beauty, we often pulled off the road for photos. Slea Head drive is spectacular on the Dingle peninsula....we did it twice,once going west from Dingle town and then looping thru the north and heading east back to Dingle. Both days had very good weather and we stopped at Ventry beach for a picnic lunch. You can pick up nice food items at the "grocery" store in Dingle.