Reload this Page >

Driving time from Venice to Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Kim

We are going to honeymoon in Italy the 2nd week of August.... I realise that a rental car would be a waste in Venice, but where could I pick one up outside of Venice and how long would the drive be to Florence? - Would I be better off taking the train or is there something special to see in between the two cities?

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 08:24 AM
Paul

Kim - you can pick up a rental car in Piazzale Roma, which is the place in Venice the causeway from the mainland ends. I'd suggest driving down to Ravenna (2.5-3 hours) to see the mosaics, staying overnight, then driving to Florence (2 hours), where you can return the car.

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 10:32 AM
Paulo

The nonstop fast driving time from Piazzale Roma in Venice to center Florence reads about 2:30 hrs. Cities worth visiting on the route are Padua (Scrovegni Chapel, Chiesa degli Ermitani, St. Francis Basilica, Cafe Pedrocchi, etc), Ferrara (very nice Romanesque-Gothic Lombard Duomo, Castello Estense, Palazzi Schifanoia and di Diamanti, etc), and/or Bologna's city centre (Piazze Maggiore, del Nettuno and di Porta Ravegnana, Palazzo Comunale, Basilica di San Petronio, Palazzo del Podesta, Leaning Towers, etc). <BR>If you decide for Paul's suggestion, you may opt to drive to Ravenna via Ferrara, instead of driving south directly from Mestre. The driving time would be about the same (2:30 hours). Also, when driving from Ravenna to Florence you may take the route through Bologna (it's the fastest anyway) and stop there for a couple of hours. <BR>Finally, you may opt to make a detour to Verona, possibly to spend the night. From Venice to Verona it's a little over one hour on the autostrada. On route you may visit Padua and/or Palladian Vicenza. From Verona to Florence it's 2:15 hours nonstop (on Autostrada) and you may stop at Mantua (outstanding Palazzo Ducale), Modena (one of the most beautiful Romanesque Duomos in Italy) and/or Bologna. <BR>I just hope you won't have too much of a hard time deciding which way to go, and where to stop <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>