Driving through the Dolomites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving from Innsbruck to Verona in early September, and I thought we'd spend a night in Bolzano so that we can spend a day driving through the Dolomites and visit Alpe di Siusi. And then the next day we will be visiting Lake Garda (Malcesine and Sirmione) before getting into Verona that evening.

There are 4 of us, including one in a wheelchair, so keep in mind we cannot do any difficult hikes. Any trails must be smooth and fairly flat.

What would you suggest is the best itinerary for driving from Innsbruck to Bolzano? Should we drive to Corvara first and then drive from Corvara to Bolzano, stopping at Ortisei to take the cable car up to Alpe di Siusi? What are some other highlights and stops besides Alpe di Siusi?

OR

Should we just drive straight to Bolzano (much shorter and faster than driving to Corvara first) and then take the cable car in Ortisei up to Alpe di Siusi? And maybe visit Kastelruth if we have time afterwards.

Do you think we'd be missing out on much with the second option? Are there any highlights on the route from Corvara to Ortisei?

We have one full day to get from Innsbruck to Bolzano. Would love to hear your suggestions for the best itinerary.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 11:32 AM

Personally I would drive from Innsbruck to Brunico and then drive straight south from there on SP244 to Canazei and spend the night there. If the weather is clear when you arrive take a cable car. Or do it the next morning.

Then your second day drive from Canazei to Malcesine via Predazzo to Trento but then skip the autostrada route in favor of driving south past Vezzano and Lake Toblino on SS237 and then hooking up with the SS421 heading for Riva del Garda so you can take the lakeshore road to Malcesine.

Unless it turns out to be raining on your driving days I would avoid going into the bigger towns or cities since you will be able to find accessible lodgings and restaurants along the routes I described. I am assuming you are looking to take scenic routes even if they are longer.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

So you wouldn't bother with Alpe di Siusi? Are there better options for better Dolomite views (and smooth easy trails)?
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

And we already have a room booked in Bolzano.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 09:30 AM

If you have identified a certain set of trails that are optimal for the person traveling in a wheelchair then I don't want to get in the way of that. I was only looking at where you are coming from and saying what route I would choose. Many people drive into Bolzano without breaking a sweat. It will a little bit more complicated than driving to a village or a more rural lodging but if you want to stick to your Bolzano booking then that makes sense.

The entire large area of the Dolomiti is quite spectacular and it can be approached from many ways with many stunningly beautiful drives and vistas . It is really not a case of one area being more worthwhile scenically than another.

So simply going back to your first question my response would be that pick the one that sounds most convenient for your party and don't make a final decision until you see what the short term weather forecast is. I have been in the Dolomiti on days when it was cloudy in the morning but it totally cleared later on and just the opposite: beautiful clear morning and then clouds rolled in at the end of the day. If you are set on taking a cable car ride then you want to do that when it is clearest.