Reload this Page >

DRIVING ON SANTORINI

Search

DRIVING ON SANTORINI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 10:58 AM
KRISTA

DRIVING ON SANTORINI

I have not yet decided between taking taxis everywhere on the island or renting a car. I have several questions about the car: <BR> <BR>1. Can you rent cars at the airport? <BR> <BR>2. Approximately how much does it cost per day? I got a quote from Budget for $40 per day. Is it cheaper to just rent it there? <BR> <BR>3. Do you need an International Driver's License? I've read differing opinions both here on the forum and in current guidebooks. How do I know which to believe? <BR> <BR>4. Is it easy to find your way around the island and to find places to park? <BR> <BR>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 01:26 PM
Paulo

If you're going in July or August, I would certainly rent a car ... there may not be taxis available when you need them. There's a reasonable bus transportation system in the island but also not that reliable ... in the sense that there may be two buses on a specific itinerary one after the other and then quite a while till the next shows up. I would rent a car even in low season. Freedom is a nice feeling ... you know! <BR>We rented in Fira. I would guess that you wouldn't have any problems renting at the airport but the airport may be served only by the majors. In Fira you may just walk along the main street and choose the best deal. If you rent in town, there should be no problem dropping the car at the airport if you wish (we just left the car in the parking lot with the key under the mat &lt;g&gt and you should be able to make it up for taxi ride cost from the airport to town. <BR>We rented a mini car in July 1998 (Fiat cinquecento type of stuff); you don't need anything bigger (we were 4 adults using it); we paid GDR 12,500/day all insurances included; at the time this was about $44/day; so, if all insurances are inlcuded and the quote is for July or August, it appears to be a fair deal; if you're going in low season and/or insurances are not included in the quote you got, I would take my chances and bargain a better deal. <BR>In principle, you're supposed to have the "IDL" to drive in Greece ... but in Santorini nobody should care (don't know about the majors, though). As a matter of fact, I could have rented a motorbike without having a license at all! <BR>Pa

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 01:30 PM
Paulo

Ooops ... You may not be able to park exactly where you would like in Fira and Oia. Nothing dramatic, though. Maybe you'll have to walk 300/400 meters. In the rest of the island (Akrotiri, Mount Elias, Perissa and Kamari beaches, etc) we found no parking problems at all. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 03:50 PM
hamlet

When my boyfriend and I were there 2 years ago I had a different experience renting a scooter for us. We were at the rental place and I had my DL from home and the woman would NOT let us rent a scooter with my license because it said "auto" on it, but my boyfriend could with his Italian DL...go figure. It is super easy to find your way around the island, but I don't know about parking - a different story with a scooter. <BR>

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 04:34 PM
Kam

We rented a car on Santorini, Sept.99" My husband used his USA drivers license with no problem. But when we first tried to rent a moped... no one would rent to us, because it didn't have motorcycle endorsement. The car was easy to drive, and about $35 a day with insurance. Also when they say "full coverage insurance" its not the same as USA, in Greece full coverage doesn't include the tires, windows, or under the car. Just FYI.