Driving Normandy Calais to Caen

Apr 8th, 2002, 04:03 AM
maryann

Driving Normandy Calais to Caen

We are taking the ferry from Dover to Calais and will drive a car to Caen. Has anyone driving that route? Is it difficult - we are senior citizens. Thank you.

Apr 8th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Topping

To the top

Apr 8th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Betty

I'm glad someone brought this back up. I tried to post to it earlier but it wouldn't go through.
The quickest route from Calais to Caen would be by autoroute: A16 from Calais, by-passing Boulogne, picking up the A28 just north of Abbeville, splitting off on the A29 north of Rouen (just after St. Saens), crossing the Pont de Normandie (a sight in itself) just short of Le Havre, connecting to the A13 a bit before Pont l'Eveque and on into Caen. If you make good time and are tired of the autoroute, you might leave it at Honfleur (just after crossing the Pont de Normandie), drive down the coast by way of Trouville, Deauville, Houlgate and Cabourg, and enter Caen from the northeast on the D513. I would not advise doing this, however, in the height of summer.
You can get a printout of this route, or any other, at www.viamichelin.com. It will also give you an approximate time for the trip. Personally I have only driven as far north as Etretat, but it looks pretty easy on the map. Bonne route!

Apr 8th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Betty

Betty, Thanks so much for your help. I printed this out and we'll try it. I tried the viamichelin web site but I think you have to be in the UK to use it? Thanks for the wonderful tips.

Apr 9th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Betty

You're very welcome, Maryann. About using viamichelin, you can select just about any city and country you want. After selecting "Driving Directions," just type in your departure city (Calais) and your destination city (Caen). The reference to "postcode,UK only" means that you can use the postcode numbers(like US zip code)only for the UK, but you can type in any city you want. After hitting the "Result" button, it will sometimes ask you to highlight one of several places with similar names. For "Country" you can type in "France" or select it from the pull down menu (arrow next to box). Do try it again. The viamichelin site is very useful, not only for driving directions, but also for maps of cities, lists of hotels and restaurants and lots of other info.
BTW, when you reply to a message, you should fill in your own Name and E-mail address, not those of the person you are addressing. You are not the first to make this mistake and it really doesn't matter much, just thought you might like to know.
Again, have a great trip and if I can help further, let me know.

Apr 11th, 2002, 01:02 AM
meconomos

Betty, thanks so much for your help. I'll try the michelin website again.