Reload this Page >

Driving Lom to Sogndal

Search

Driving Lom to Sogndal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Pops

Driving Lom to Sogndal

Going to Norway this summer. Driving which we always do. Have to get from Lom to Sogndal. No way I can handle the narrow, twisting, precipitous drop-off road that is #55. The very thought of backing up to a wide spot to let an oncoming car pass on a road like this makes me ill. So, is there another route, even if it is round-about? For example, is the route to Geiranger, Styrn, Olden, Byrkjelo ending in Sogndal (#15 then #60 then #5) any better, wider, straighter, etc.? I know I can do this by train and may have to. But, after fijord country we are going on to Bergen and then down the West Coast of Norway and it would be more economical to keep the car rather than drop it in Oslo and pick up another in Bergen. Is there a knowledeable Norwegian out there that can give me first-hand information?

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Bjorn Alvik

Hi, Pops (or chicken or whatever you name yourselves) <BR>I'm kind of "knowlegded" Norwegian, living in Oslo and with extensive Norway travel experience, by foot, car, train and whatever for decades. <BR>The roads you ask for may be curvy, but you should not bother at all with "the meeting a lorry" problem. <BR>To your information, there is no train alternative in the area you mention. Buses,though. Train lines are Oslo-Andalsnes, Oslo-Bergen and Oslo-Stavanger. <BR>At Lom you have two options to get to Sogndal. Either westwards to Stryn and then south, or going south, climbing the Sognefjell mountains. If Geiranger is on your agenda, you gotta go Stryn, and then north. After Geiranger, return to Stryn and proceed south to Sogndal. <BR>After Sogndal your options to get to Bergen are many. Depends on your time, needs etc. Fastest? Most scenary? Cheapest? ....?? <BR>My stomach feeling? A car gives great flexibility, and I would not hesitate renting it all the way from Oslo. You'll have a marvellous time, if you take your time, "chicken".(I'm not rude, please believe me) <BR>Now I gotta run. Let's discuss later. Please feel free to email me. <BR>Bjorn (Norwegian for bear)

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Pops

Thanks Bjorn. I really prefer to drive because of that very "flexability". I have driven all over Europe and South America, much of it at high altitude (Alps, Rockies, Andes, etc.), many of the guide books here refer to the "exhilarating roller-coaster ride", "hairpin down to fjord country", "white knuckel exciting" and worst of all "treat each turn as if it were your last". If the roads are truly narrow with straight down drops into nothingness, I will have to find another way. I ski, white water raft, hike at altitude, etc., but driving "at the edge" does me in. I really do want to drive it, so I look forward to your reply.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:26 AM
pops

Any other opinions. What sounds easy to Bjorn may be a disaster to me. Do I correctly get the impression that the road through Stryn is less intimidating? Thanks for any input.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:32 AM
Bjorn Alvik

Hi again, Pops. <BR>No one of the roads you mention are too narrow for two cars to pass, neither do they contain straight down drops into nothingness. <BR>The shortest Lom-Sogndal is the #55 over the Sognefjell mountains. On the Sognefjord side you'll have hairpin curves on your way down, but I cannot think of them as beeing intimidating, because the landsacpe at that point is rather broad and slope. Until now, Turtagroe has been a very popular place to rest or overnight. The place is an old "caravan" stop. Two months ago it burnt down, and there's nothing left of the place. <BR>Reminds me: On the Lom side, and not far (less than 15 km I guess), there's another really old place, Roysheim, also a former caravan stop. Until recently it offered rooms and a gourmet kitchen. It might have been taken over by a company for private use. But if it still acommodate travellers, I certainly would consider Roysheim for my Lom overnight stay. Think about it, and I may help you with checking it out. <BR>Anyway, as I stated earlier, from Lom you have to go in the Stryn direction to reach Geiranger. Before Stryn, I think at a lake called Langvatn or something, there is a scenic road (#163??) nrth-west to Geiranger, continuing via the "Trollstigen" to Aandalsnes. This road falls fast down to Geiranger, and may not be what you want. Therefore I recommend you to go by main road to Stryn. To reach Geiranger, take the main road in Aalesund direction to Hellesylt. From here a ferry will take you to Geiranger along the innermost Geirangerfjord. The ferry also take cars. To get back to Stryn, you might challenge your "height problem" by going the former mentioned road upwards. Personally I think that driving steep upwards is not at all as thrilling or intimidating as downwards. <BR>Or you can go back to Stryn the same "valley" road from Hellesylt. <BR>Stryn-Sogndal is a very scenic road, and with very changing landscapes. Due to all recent roadimprovements (especially tunnels combinig roads that even few years ago had no connection), I can not give you detailed driving recommendations. My collegue (she is from Luster, not far from Sogndal), though, claims that the Stryn-Sogndal via the Fjaerland tunnel is a very comfortable and very very scenic road. It takes you high, though, and you'll have lots of options for glacier and fjord views, and there are many small detouring options as well. Of course, to get most out of it, you'll need a detaild map. This you for sure will get in Stryn, together with tons of good advices. <BR>Whatever you do, if you go Stryn-Sogndal, make sure your route includes the Fjaerland tunnel. There might be a toll on the road (app NOK90/USD12 or something) <BR>Have I forgotten anything? <BR>Bjorn

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 05:59 AM
Bjorn Alvik

Once again, this time regarding Roisheim <BR> <BR>I found this on the net: <BR>http://www.roisheim.no <BR>The page is in Norwegian, though, but there's a nice picture and addresses. <BR>Roisheim is a restored 17th century farm in the country 15 km south of Lom. The rooms are in the old buildings. <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Pops

Bjorn: You are a life saver, literally. We really want to see this part of Norway and you have given me the information I need to go forward. I can't thank you enough.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:32 PM
Ada

Hi! <BR> <BR>I have travelled all over Norway 6 times! I am not used to travelling over mountains in my everyday life. I can assure you that driving in Norway is a real pleasure! It is not intimidating at all! The roads are empty! It is a huge country with only about 5 million people. <BR>If you want an interesting trip, AVOID the highways. Those you have at home. Take your time, drive the small country roads. You won't regret it! The people are the nicest, and the country by far is the most beautiful in Europe! <BR> <BR>Have a great time and don't be afraid! <BR> <BR>Ada

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Joe

Bjorn: Just made my reservations at Roisheim. Thanks again. We are going to take the route you and your associate recommended. I may have to close my eyes on the steep sides, but we're going.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 09:47 PM
Bjorn Alvik

Congratulations, Joe.<BR>Especially with getting reservation at Roisheim. My wife and I stayed there for one night some years ago on our way to a Jotunheimen mountain hike. Both the buildings, the location and the treatment was very special, and we loved it. Some kind of splurging, though.<BR>I cannot recall what route I recommended, but I recall recommending two. If Geiranger is a must, you must go Lom-Stryn. If time is most important, you take 55 over the Sognefjell to Sogndal.<BR>I wish you sunny weather on your drive and your Roisheim stay. Risk of sipping rain is always present, though.<BR>If any questions at all, do not hesitate to contact me<BR>Bjorn, Oslo