Driving into Florence

Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving into Florence

We will be staying at a villa in Bagno a Ripoli southeast of Florence and wanted to drive into the city for day trips. However, the more I read about the ZTL and hear horror stories from my friends about their 100Euro tickets, I am unsure how to go about this. I did not see a train station for Bagno a Ripoli on the train website; can anyone tell me if there is a commuter train there or nearby that goes into the city? If not, is there a place outside the ZTL that we can park the car?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Select mobilita, autovelox (cameras), ztl area. You can also select parking. Zoom in to see the areas better.
http://news.comune.fi.it/muoversi/servizi.php

It's likely Bagno a Ripoli will be on a bus line if it's not close to the train station.
http://www.ataf.net/en/ataf.aspx?idC=2&LN=en-US
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, kybourbon. This is what I needed, especially showing the parking sites. I also found the bus route into the city, so that will work, too. My girlfriend and her husband had a 6-month battle over a ZTL ticket, even after their hotel took responsibility. After hearing her stories, I decided it's definitely something I want to avoid at all costs.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd probably just take taxis. Per google, it's less than 4 miles between Bagno a Ripoli and, say, Piazza di Santa Croce, which would be on the near edge of the historical center. Driving means making your way back to Bagno a Ripoli in the dark, and one of you can't have wine at dinner. Public trans (ATAF) would seem to take 30+ minutes each way.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Jean, those are really good points. We will take those into consideration, especially for the first few nights we are there. I know one of our group will really like the taxi idea.