Notices

Driving in Tuscany Solo

Old Mar 7th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in Tuscany Solo

Although I have travelled to Italy about 8 times, I have never driven while traveling there. I've been to Tuscany several times. I'm planning a trip to study Italian in Rome in September and am going to be traveling alone. I have been to the Val d'orcia once and am longing to go back. I'm planning to go to Siena for a long weekend and just want to get some feedback on a single woman doing a driving day trip alone.

I speak some Italian and have been driving for many years. I know that this is an adventurous and experienced group of travelers. Any hesitation about driving from Siena around Val d'orcia and back (by dark) by myself? TIA for any feedback.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 12:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't worry about driving around those areas of Tuscany at night at all. Or anywhere in Tuscany, day or night. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 12:29 PM

If you have gps, you should be fine. Personally, I like to have a second person to be the navigator and for moral support.

carolsc
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 01:54 PM

Well I wouldn't want to do it myself (drive solo in Italy) but that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't!
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 02:04 PM

Will you be staying in Siena while you have the car? Can you drive a manual?
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, and thanks for the feedback. I would love to have someone with me, but I'm making this trip on my own. Kybourbon, yes I can drive a stick and I will be staying in Siena. I went on a private tour with two other friends while there last time, but you know - I figure it will be $400 to $500 for a guide.
That was why I was thinking of doing it myself. I just loved the Val d'orcia. I'm nervous about it - getting gas.....etc., but I would just love to go back.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 03:54 PM

I've done at least 10 solo driving trips in the area and have had no issues. I like to use a map and if I get confused I just pull over and check the map. I find the signage very good and I don't think the driving is difficult at all.

Getting gas- just let them pump it (and clean your windshield!). Know the parking regulations/signs.

I love the solo adventure of driving around and exploring the area. Nothing like the freedom of calling your own shots all day! Go, do it, and have a blast!
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 04:02 PM

How are those scenic country roads at night?

Do they have lamps?
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

LOL Zoecat, you are a true adventurer! This is my first solo trip to Italy and while I know it will be lonely at times, I refuse to let my fear stop me from Bella Roma! I love your attitude. I have seen other posts that have said "Bring maps! Not just a GPS," so clearly that is important. Scrb11, in an earlier post about driving someone did say that the Tuscan roads are very dark and winding at night - that's why I plan to be back in Siena, safe and sound by that time.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 04:47 PM

I've been to Europe almost thirty trips, a good number of them involved rental cars, but I always had someone else with me on the trips where cars were involved. I've done lots of solo trips but those were always by public transportation. But just a couple years ago I was in a situation where I wanted to keep the car three days after my traveling companion had to go back home - and it was quite fine. I really worried about it but no problems really. I still prefer to have another person with me if I want a car, but if I were you in your situation I'd go ahead and do it.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 05:41 PM

Susan,

I'm usually a solo traveler and have driven solo in France, Italy and Sicily (last trip). It's not difficult at all.

Just go and have a wonderful time!

Driving in the Italian countryside is a breeze.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much you guys. I'm going to do it!
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 06:22 PM

The only caveat I would have is that you say you will be driving at night. That should be no problem on the highway, but last time we stayed in Val d'Orcia and drove back from dinner in one of the villages the absolute darkness of the countryside was a challenge, even when we knew exactly where to turn to get to our villa or to a restaurant.
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 01:00 PM

"but last time we stayed in Val d'Orcia and drove back from dinner in one of the villages the absolute darkness of the countryside was a challenge,"

That's what I imagine the situation would be.

One time I was based in Siena and returned just after sunset. By the time I was around Siena itself, it was pretty dark in those roads. I'm not even talking about country roads but those on the periphery of the city.

Guess you have to trust the GPS maps are reliable and can show you the roads ahead.

That is one reason I've been hesitant to stay away from cities or towns, in a agriturismo for instance, if you had to drive to a town for dinner and drive back to middle of nowhere.

One time I stayed outside of Arezzo which had good reviews on booking.com. But I didn't realize to get to it, you had to drive up some unpaved, narrow roads. It had a great pool deck area overlooking the city below but I dreaded driving to and away from it that I didn't really leave it.

The place offered dinners which got good reviews but the menu they had when I stayed there featured a dish with pigeons.
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

I absolutely definitely will NOT be driving at night. I'm sorry if I said that but...no way! I have every intention of being back in my hotel room (or sipping a glass of wine in downtown Siena when it's dark out. Thank you all so much for your encouragement. I can't wait.
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 04:10 PM

I like to stay in the Val d'Orcia. During into and out of Siena is sometimes confusing. Consider staying in the countryside but close to a town. My favorite spot is Fonte Bertusi, located in the perfect location just 3 km outside of Pienza. The driving is sooooo easy, even in and out of Pienza at night. The surroundings are spectacular.
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 04:12 PM

"Driving in and out of Siena"
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Zoecat!
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 07:57 AM

I've done it solo at least a dozen times and loved every minute of it.