Iceland Hotels with private bathrooms

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to arrange a trip for around a week in June. We'll drive around the ring road. On the way what are some (preferably inexpensive) hotels or apartments we can rent with private bathrooms? ( i noticed many in iceland are shared; which i've never heard of before) Also, it would be helpful if there was a fridge in the room. Can you help me find some hotels with these criteria? (for 3 people)
I've also noticed that most of the hotels on sites like expedia, hotels.com, and kayak, are booked. there are maybe one in each category--and it doesnt always say they have private bathrooms. Is there a shortage of hotel rooms?
How many days should we stay in each place?

thanks!
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you checked Iceland tourism .... http://www.visiticeland.com/
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, here's a link to the people we used - they cover everything from hotels to guest houses and farm stays and self-catering.

http://www.farmholidays.is/

we never found a place without private facilities, and we did NOT generally stay in the most expensive accommodations. there is no shortage, but the farms which double up as guest houses, which are the most plentiful lodging places, do not feature on expedia or hotels.com, though I suppose they may be on Trip Advisor.

my advice would be to spend 2-3 nights in each place, and to do the ring-road - we didn't and we spent a lot of time back tracking, which we could have avoided. you can get all the way round in 10 days, [or even a week if you are prepared to put in the mileage] but 2 weeks would be much better, as you could then get out to the Western Fjords, which were the highlight of our trip. to get back to Reykjavik [assuming you are travelling anti-clockwise] you can then get the ferry across to the Snaefellnes peninsular [? spelling] and rejoin the ring road.

click on my screen name if you want to read my "warts and all" TR!

happy travelling!