driving in Scotland

Dec 17th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

driving in Scotland

Next summer, I plan to fly to Glasgow, then drive to Inverness, then on to Tain. I have never been to Scotland, but I assume this is a reasonable day drive. What do you think?
Dec 17th, 2004, 06:55 PM

According to the AA Route Planner (www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_main.jsp it's about a 4 hour drive to Inverness.

Dec 17th, 2004, 08:28 PM

And another hour from Inverness to Tain.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Dec 17th, 2004, 11:27 PM

Scotland is beautiful in the summer and you will be passing by a lot of beautiful scenery and some great places to stop in your rush to Inverness.

Take a look at our list of Best Places to Visit in Scotland at www.ThereArePlaces.com and see if any these locations might be interesting enough to slow you down.

My greatest concern, is whether the flight into Glasgow is from the U.S.?

If so, you will be jet-lagged and probably not prepared to drive on the left for four or five hours. If you plan on getting off an international flight and into a car that has you sitting on the right and driving on the left, you should consider a shorter drive on your first day in Scotland. I suspect you first roundabout will convince you to take a break!

I hope you have a great time.

Regards,

Ekim
Dec 17th, 2004, 11:42 PM

Those are good roads till you're within a coulpe of miles of Tain. It should be fine.
Dec 17th, 2004, 11:53 PM

First of all - which Tain do you mean? There are at least two north of Inverness - one on the Dornoch Firth about 40 miles north of Inverness, and one in Caithness way up near Thurso.

I'll assume you mean the one in Easter Ross (the one closer to Inverness) because it is larger. Anyway, take all the mapping software estimates with a grain of salt. In Theory it is about a 4 1/2 - 5 hour drive, but that is with clear roads and little traffic. However, the A82 can be a real bottleneck in several places - especially on Summer weekends. Along Loch Lomond, from Glencoe to Ft William and all along Loch Ness you can sometimes hit bumper to bumper traffic. And even if the traffic isn't bad, you can easily get caught behind a slow moving lorry or tour bus for miles.

So a lot depends on the day of the week and local traffic conditions. I'd count on at least 6 hours, and be happy if it ended up less.
Dec 18th, 2004, 12:45 AM

You wouldn't take that road to get to Tain. Not no way, not no how- well, unless you were doing it deliberately for the sightseeing.

Get on the M9 and A9. 4 hours later when you get to the signposts for Tain, turn right. Bingo.

Viamichelin has the whole trip as 3 hours 55minutes. Add half an hour driving time to go into and out of Inverness.

Eat garlic and carry little wooden crosses to ensure you keep off Loch Lomond side (or just buy a map
Dec 18th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

I am speaking of Tain closer to Inverness. Also, the flight is a direct one from US. Thanks for the advice.
Dec 18th, 2004, 11:35 AM

If it is a flight in from the States you are probably going to be awake for more than 24 hours. As Sheila says, the A9 route might be a little faster - but you will have to be VERY careful navigating the motorways through and around Glasgow. This could be a pretty hairy experience in a jetlagged fog.

I don't usually recommend anyone drive that far after an overnight transatlantic flight. Have you driven much in the UK before? If so it will be a little easier. If not, you might want to stop that first day somewhere w/i an hour or so of Glasgow and then head north after you've had a good night's sleep.

The A82 is more scenic, the A9 can be faster (but parts of it have good scenery too) . . . . .
Dec 18th, 2004, 02:01 PM

I agree with Ekim & Janis. We (my DH) drove 2 1/2 hours after traveling for 21 hours straight. It was NOT fun, doable but not fun. I can't imagine if we had added another two hours to that trip. Stay somewhere close to Glasgow and get adjusted and rested then drive the next day. After that have a great trip!