Reload this Page >

Driving in Provence

Search

Driving in Provence

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Elaine

Driving in Provence

Driving Provence/Luberon area in October. Some concern about driving challenges because have driven only automatic for many years. Do hills/parking present challenges especially in small hill towns/villages

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Wayne

If you've ever driven a stick shift car, it's like riding a bike; you don't forget how. You might be a bit rusty, but renting a car is really the only way to get around to all the villages in Provence. Find a friend with a stick-shift car and persuade him/her to let you practice your driving in a safe place like a parking lot. You shouldn't have any problem at all; but when you return to the U.S. and hop into your automatic, you'll reach for the clutch and gearshift a few times before adjusting to the automatic again.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:15 PM
StCirq

Yes, Elaine, parking and navigating in small, hilly towns requires some mastery of the stick shift. I've had many experiences (backing up hill in lane so narrow I had to fold in the side windows...wending my way on a steep incline through streets thronged with marketgoers..)that left me grateful that for most of my life I drove a stick shift. And the French are not exactly the most patient people behind the wheel, either. It can be truly unnerving to be stalling out on a cobblestone hill with 20 impatient Gauls behind you.<BR>Definitely practice before you get there, and practice the hard stuff.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Lynn

I would recommend that you get an automatic, if that is what you are used to driving - unless you do what has been previously recommended here and practice, practice, practice on a stick shift before you go. I drove a stick shift for many years and then switched to an automatic. The first time I drove in the Provence/Luberon, I found that driving a stick shift DID NOT come back to me (like riding a bicycle) and therefore I didn't see as much as I would have liked because of my nervousness about driving. The second time I went, I reserved an automatic and went everywhere. Driving in some of the hill towns can make you nervous just because of the narrow streets (i.e., wondering if it is actually a street or a walking path), etc. without adding to your nervousness driving a stick shift car.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:48 PM
FLJudi

I second the idea of renting an automatic too. I've been the principal driver in Provence for the past two vacations (put over 2000m on this June) and I can't imagine being as comfortable if I were driving a stick shift (which I did years ago). The roads can be very narrow, hilly and winding - going up to one hill town (Seguret) the road was only wide enough for one car, very few places to pull over if you needed to, with lots of switchback type turns. I can't imagine what I would have done if I met another car - particularly with a stick shift. Concentrating on the road, maps, and signage is challenging enough for me (a 60ish female) without worrying about gears and stalling out. I love driving in the French and Italian countryside - but only in my automatic - well worth the extra price.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Pat Klontz

We spent two weeks this spring driving around Provence and rented a stick, but if I had it to do over, I would pay the extra and get an automatic. There are so many things to be thinking about when in the small towns. (Out on the open roads made no difference at all.) One other note for you. We stayed in Arles and loved the hotel we had chosen inside the walled area of the city, but it was a mess to get in and out of both in terms of knowing where we were going and simply navigating the turns which were so tight. Park outside the old cities when you can. There were several cities where that was an option and made life so much easier. And as much as I loved our hotel, I think I would find a hotel outside the old city next time. Enjoy yourselves. I dream of going back. PJK

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Kay

We are just back from the Luberon and our car had a manual transmission. We drive automatics at home, but my husband had no problems, although he has occasionally driven our son's manual. Why don't you rent an inexpensive car for a day and drive it around before you go. We really enjoyed Provence. Have a great trip! Kay

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Francie

Hi Elaine,<BR>Husband and I drove all over Provence one trip in a rented automatic car. It was easy to manuever around towns/villages. We stayed in the hilltop village of Bonnieux for a week, which is a small, winding road up to the top of our rented village house. No problems at all. It was trying to find a parking space that was the problem. Our rental car was a brand new 4-door Peugeot, larger model. Reason: Had lots of luggage, needed a large trunk. <BR>Francie