Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving in Italy--Some Experienced Advice is Appreciated!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Jackie

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in May. Although we've both been to Europe, neither of us have been to Italy. We are planning to fly into Rome, spend 5 nights there, then drive up through the Tuscan countryside on our way to Florence.<BR><BR>ISSUE: Everyone has warned us that there are no automatic cars available once you actually get to Italy. Sure, &quot;they say&quot; you are able to reserve/guarantee them, but then none are available when you show up and are ready to rent. Nither my husband nor I drive manual transmission, although I did a bit when I was in high school (half a life time ago. I worry about &quot;re-learning&quot; while in a foreign country...<BR><BR>Has anyone experienced this? What is your advice? We would really like to drive and see the sights of the countryside on our own time--without having to rely on the constraints and schedules of public transportation.<BR><BR>Please share your stories!<BR><BR>Jackie

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Eye Spy

Certainly on the smaller cars manual transmissions are more common, but your friends' saying NO automatic transmissions exist is completely false. I suggest you rent the car from the States (i.e. you make the reservation here) -- that way you will know your car will have an automatic transmission. One very important general rule of thumb: you must yield to the RIGHT in Europe.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 02:05 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jackie, I have rented automatics at least 8 times in Italy--thru Auto Europe. I would train to Florence--to avoid getting a car in Rome--and get the car as you leave Florence. It is not hard to drive out from Florence, but do not try to drive in either city.<BR>The Mercedes A car is a good option to consider for 2 people. Good luck !

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Ray

Jackie, a few years back, we reserved a car with an automatic for pick up in Florence. We flew into Rome and took the train to Florence. When we got to the Hertz car rental agency in Florece they at first claimed they had no automatics. However, when I told them neither my wife or I could drive a standard shift car under any circumstances they happened to find a nice Mercedes SUV with an automatic. A few steps up from the vehicle we reserved. So be persistent if at first you are told no cars are available. Also, I would agree with Bob's advice about avoiding driving in the major cities in Italy. I was rear ended in Milan last year trying to make my way through an intersection where cars and motor bikes seemed to come from all directions as soon as the light changed. Driving the Tuscan countryside is a much more pleasant experience.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Ian

Jackie<BR><BR>I concur with Bob above. We had a Nissan Primera automatic from Auto Europe. The driving will require all of your concentration, so pay a bit more &amp; get auto if that is what you drive at home.<BR><BR>I also agree with Bob about driving in cities. Italian cities are not driver friendly. Avoid if at all possible.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Nan

Jackie, in a worst case scenario, the rental booth may not have an automatic, it happened to us, to be on the safe side why don't you rent a car in the US before your trip and practice on your own turf. I had to quickly relearn how to drive a stick in the Florence airport or we would have wasted alot of time waiting for an automatic to be delivered. <BR>Don't set yourself up to be a victim.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Sherry

Hi Jackie. I have rented twice in Italy, both times reserving an automatic.<BR>I had the same experience as Ray with Hertz in Florence. Got upgraded to a diesel Mercedes.<BR>The next time through AutoEurope, also in Florence, with Europcar. There was no problem. The automatic was there for us.<BR>Do what Bob says. Take the train from Rome to Florence (about 1 1/2 hour trip). You could spend your Florence time in the city then, if you are planning to spend any time in the city and pick up the car on the way out.<BR>After the time you spend touring Tuscany, you could drive directly back to the Rome airport for the return journey.<BR>Returning a car at FCO is very easy.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:22 AM
pamb

I have to put in my two cents' worth about not driving in the major cities. We drove into Florence and spent two hours trying to get back out. (We had left the coast a day early and came into the city without a hotel reservation, thinking it would be easy to find something. After our ordeal driving in Florence traffic, we ended up at the Sheraton Firenze Sud, next to the Autostrade -- expensive but had a free bus back and forth into the city).<BR>We had a VW Passat Diesel, which was manual transmission, but after a few times forgetting to put in the clutch, got used to it. <BR>We actually drove from Florence to Rome (but we had driven all over northern Italy) and had no trouble. Just stay in the right lane. The Autostrade is easy driving, with lots of big gas station/restaurant/grocery combos along the way. And remember to figure in all those tolls...<BR>Pam<BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Marilyn

Will put in my 2 cents as no one else has mentioned this. <BR><BR>First, you will pay a LOT more for an automatic than a manual transmission. If this is a factor at all, it would be worthwhile to learn to drive a stick. You have enough time before your trip. <BR><BR>Second, I don't mean to be harsh, but I consider the ability to drive a manual transmission car a skill that every driving adult should have. You never know when you will need it.<BR><BR>By the way, we have driven all over Tuscany on 4 trips, including Rome to Florence. All the above advice is good. Driving out of Rome is awful, but possible(and certainly preferable to driving IN Rome). Driving in Tuscany itself is easy and delightful, definitely the best way to see the area in my opinion. Be sure you have a good map!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Diane

We rented from AutoEurope and picked up a car at the airport. There is an extra charge, but they have many many many cars, so your chances of getting an automatic are far greater. It is easy to get to the A1 from the airport and to head straight out to Tuscany. You can even stop in Orvieto on the way, if you like (actually it is in Umbria, but it is an easy and pretty drive from A1). Since you've paid the extra charge, you can drop off the car at the Florence airport and cab into town. (I don't know if you are flying home from Florence, but if you have to get back to Rome, it is an easy train trip and you'll enjoy the scenery!) You will love Italy.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Ross Bernard III Jr.

Yeah...umm... you can drive around in Italy in a car.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Dayle

No one else has mentioned this, so I will. When visiting the hilltowns, be sure to zip into the first public parking lot you see! Don't think that there will be another one higher up. We did fine in all but Montepulciano, where we missed the lot and ended up negotiating the narrow, steep, one-way streets. Did a lot of multi-point turns and ended up following the town shuttle bus back down to get out of there! We considered our experience a success because no one was killed, we didn't get arrested and no damage to the car!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Nan

Marilyn, that is sort of what I was saying too, but I didn't want to be too blunt. So I say it again, if you want to be on top of things and ready for anything, practice driving a stickshift before you leave.<BR>Have you ever experienced the Italian shrug when you say you &quot;need&quot; something they don't have?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Marilyn

Nan, I'm afraid I've experienced that shrug all over the world. The Italians certainly don't have a monopoly on it.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Nan

Me too, it is The Shrug. But since Jackie is visiting Italy it will be The Italy Shrug.<BR>Better to try to avoid it before you get it.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Deborah

Best piece of advice I can give you is to learn the Italian word for &quot;diesel&quot;!!! In some European countries, the diesel nozzle will fit into a regular gas tank receptor - trust me, from experience - you DON'T want that........ although it makes for some pretty hilarious delays and lots of good stories!!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Melanie

Just got back from Italy a few days ago. While there, my fiance filled up his small sized car and it was $64.00E!!!!! Got back to the states and filled up my big ole SUV....$28.00USD. WOW was I surprised. So, consider this cost in your plans. Also, we had to pay to ride on the autostrada....we traveled about 2-3 hours on it and payed around $14.00 one way. This isn't a big deal, however, if you are on a budget, keep it in mind.