Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving in Ireland: Just Wing it or use AA Roadwatch web-site?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're leaving in July for our first trip to misty magical Ireland. Renting a car in Shannon, returning it to Dublin.

I have our itinerary and b&bs, 3 tourist maps, and a OSI Complete Road Atlas of Ireland. So...do we just wing it, as far as the driving goes and rely on the map? Or do I print out detailed driving directions from AA Roadwatch?

How do you all handle this for Ireland?

One problem is I'm not sure on the longer drives where we will want to stop.

This is our itinerary. Any suggestions on planning the drives are appreciated.

Fly into Shannon. Rent car.
1 night: Bunratty
3 nights: Dingle
3 nights: Ballyvaughan, County Clare
3 nights: Westport, County Mayo
2 nights: near Bushmills, Northern Ireland (in countryside)
2 nights: Hillsborough
1 night: Malahide
Fly home from Dublin.

I should mention when we arrive in Malahide it will be evening. On our last day in Hillsborough we will see the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum in Cultra and then drive to Malahide, arriving in the guesthouse in the evening.

We also plan to take the Antrim coast on the drive down from Bushmills area to Hillsborough.

Thanks! Fodorites always have great advice. I'm travelling with biologist hubby and 2 young adult daughters. Hubby loves stopping for toads or interesting weeds, or beautiful natural areas. Daughters and I love stopping in little villages, shops, beautiful areas, castle ruins, etc.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:58 AM

We took a good map (Michelin Atlas) and planned as we went. And we relied on B&B owners for help! Of course, just because you've printed out driving directions doesn't mean you have to follow them. If it makes you feel better to have them, go ahead and print them out. They won't take up that much extra space in your luggage.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Hit post too soon! Meant to add that I know you've been planning this trip for a long time. I hope it's a fantastic experience for you!
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

CAPH52, thanks for the advice and encouragement! Looking forward to posting my trip report when we return. Leaving soon in July!

Yeah, I guess you are right. I could print out driving directions, and discard them if we discover a better plan. I have to confess I have a terrible non-existent sense of direction, even in my home town. But hubby will be driving, and I am doing all the planning.

So that means the driver (hubby) won't have any idea where he is going, and he is the one with the sense of direction!

I think we should get a compass. Can I admit something silly? I don't know how to use a compass. I have handled a few and couldn't figure out how exactly to make them useful...

In my world, places move around constantly, like the horses on a merry-go-round. Therefore having a revolving map is essential.

Lately I have been accidentally posting my Ireland questions under general "Europe". Frustrating. I might re-post this one under Ireland...
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Hi, Melissa. I have to admit I'd noticed that you must have forgotten to click on Ireland. Thought about mentioning it but I got slammed for that a few weeks ago. The thing is, a lot of people have neither the time nor the inclination to read through hundreds of posts. So if you don't click on your country, your post sinks and you miss out on lots of good advice.

But I didn't mean to lecture you! Just trying to avoid getting yelled at again! Anyway, I'm glad to see that you re-posted.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, we found the B&B owners to be a good source of driving directions. They know the shortcuts, the scenic routes, etc. So if there's a day when you're unsure of which route you want to take, you might run it by one of them, or someone working a hotel desk.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 06:17 PM

I think you will be fine with just a good map. We have been to Ireland several times, and have found ourselves lost often, but we have always been able to sort ourselves out with help from the map and/or the locals. Getting lost, however, never stresses us out, and we usually end up having some good laughs. I hope you have a wonderful trip!