Driving in Europe espcially Portugal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested a feedback how is the driving in Portugal compares with other European countries.
We were driving in the following countries
(other countries we used public transportation and private guides).

In Portugal we did not drive yet. Now coming back and considering take driving vacation in March.

We personally rate driving from easy and pleasant to hard (from best to worse)

1. Switzerland - the best: courteous drivers, great roads, signs.
2. France
3. Holland and Belgium
4. Italy
5. Germany (very fast drivers and tailgate you).

So, what are your thoughts and how one survives on Portugese country roads.
We did not drive in Spain, but I saw that driving there looked pretty easy and orderly and the roads and signs were good.
Hopefully Portugal is the same..

Just to clarify, we try to avoid large cities, and prefer drive in the countryside. Most time we spend time in the city, then take the car and drive out to explore the countryside.

The reason got me concerned that I read somewhere that Portugal had the largest number of fatal auto accidents.

thank you
sophia

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

sorry, spelling : especially
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Nope, Portugal is not the same. It is one of the most dangerous countries to drive in in Europe. The roads were decent but the drivers are very fast and aggressive. Basically, when in doubt, hit the gas...hard!

We have done it several times and found it OK...but my husband has strong nerves on the road. It is more like a sport.

Cheers,
Jan
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 10:32 AM

I would just like to correct what the irresponsable SloJan said about the portuguese drivers. I can accept criticism towards that but don't take it further than the usual latin way of driving. It is a bit like Spain, Italy and Greece (although not latin). Just obbey the rules and have a fantastic driving in Portugal. Please be careful with those "sports" foreigners that really like to speed up on the behalf of the poor natives. Sincerely, JP
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts

1. It's not fair lumping millions of people into one-liners.

2. They're awful.

IMO Portuguese drivers possess a delicious combination of aggressiveness and ineptitude unmatched by other Western European driving cultures. It is one country where the temptation to waive the supplementary car hire insurance should be resisted.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

That's not good news. MY husband loves to drive, I will show it to him, maybe he will change his mind now. Any positive experiences driving in Portugal?
thanks
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 02:11 PM

Dear Sophia
Don't let prejudice influence your vacations. Respect speed limits, use common sense and you'll be fine.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:24 PM

Yes, I had good driving experiences in Portugal. We entered Portugal at the southern end, drove to Lisbon, and from there back into Spain. I perceived no difference between Spain and Portugal and don't remember anything particularly unusual about either driving situation.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

lobo_mau (I see you are from Portugal!),
we always drive carefully, and in Europe we are always driving within limits and everybody around us - I imagine locals drive above limits.
Survived so far.
sophia
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 08:51 PM

We had no problems driving in Portugal, Spain and Italy. Seemed almost normal to me, once we got used to the narrow roads. But we live in a high traffic area (SF Bay Area) and so we're used to agressive drivers.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 09:39 PM

I drove from Madrid to Lisbon a few years ago. I thought the drivers were a bit aggressive and drove fairly fast, but nothing completely out of the ordinary for a major expressway. If you are on country roads and not the expressway it may be a bit better. Personally, I would prefer the train, but if you are not going to a major city that will be difficult.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 11:48 PM

I was in portugal two weeks ago (for 10 days). I rented a car and drove all around southern portugal. i cannot speak for the large cities (we did drive in some medium sized cities but not lisbon or porto).

i was expecting the worst considering the reputation but i found it very easy and had no problems at all. the roads were a bit rough in some towns but not a problem. the signage off the main roads was ok but not great.

the motorways and main dual carriageways were very modern and up to (if not better) than the EU average. there has been a lot of EU money pouring into pt to fix up the infrastructure.

in short, i found the roads and drivers similiar to southern spain. and the drivers were not overly agressive or lacking in skill IMO.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 12:56 AM

Dear Sophia
I had no plans to return to this subject, but since you are a very nice person, I'll give some more hints out of my experience:
1 - class A roads (toll) are good and safe - if you have to drive a long distance (Lisbon to Porto, Lisbon to Algarve, etc...) do not hesitate, unless you want to take the scenic road. Maybe some drivers drive fast but you have only to take the right most lane, drive at your speed (less than 120 kph) and don't worry about the others. Check http://www.brisa.pt for motorway network.
2 - regional, rural roads are completely anti-stress, I can't imagine you may have a problem in there.
3 - in between the previous, there are class IP roads which are my less favourite and the place where the nasty accidents occur. They are designed like a motorway, but without separated traffic lanes. I think it was a bad experience and authorities are trying to convert them to full class A motorways, but it will take some time.
4 - Avoid approaching major centers at early hours of working days or leaving them by the end of the day.
5 - Avoid if possible driving at A class or IP class roads during the begining or the ending of long weekends or during festive days. It's not a question of driving style, but statistics, if there are 10 times more cars then the usual, a few accidents are inevitable to occur.
6 - don't leave unattended luggage outside of luggage compartment or personal goods (cameras, coats, purses, etc...) in the car and visible from outside...
7 - if there are beggars helping you to find a parking place and parking the car, give them a coin by the end, something between .5 and 1 euro. In pay&display parks, don't forget to pay and display.
8 - always stop in pedestrian crossings when there are pedestrians to cross, of course, I think it's not uniformly respected in all Europe, but it is in Portugal
9 - always give right of way when approaching a roundabout
10 - if you are hesitant about the direction to take in some intersection and some impatient driver horns his/her car, just ignore... finger signals are not common, and never expected from a lady.
11 - tailgating is not common, I've never seen
12 - don't use sandals and socks at the same time. It's the only no-no I know for Portugal, except for this Portuguese people is very tolerant to exhotic habits. don't eat in public places with a hat on, ask your husband to remove a hat before shaking hands with somebody (male or female), don't eat with a hand under the table.
13 - if somebody touches your hand or arms, or put a hand in your shoulder to give you some directions, this is not sex harassment.
14 - if you need some directions while driving or walking, just ask. when you are driving and stop the car to ask something to a pedestrian, it's good policy to turn off the radio of reduce the volume, the same for police agents.
15 - read extensively http://www.discoverportugal2day.com
This is my best advice for visitors to Portugal. Sophia if you follow them you are very likelly to survive to live another day
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 01:27 AM

16 - if somebody addresses you complimentary words, try to accept them with graciosity (ask your husband to avoid breaking the nose of the guy)
17 - if somebody holds a door for you to pass, just smile and say Obrigada
18 - if in a escalator, elevator, etc, there are gentlemen obviously waiting for you to advance, do not frustrate them and step forward (ladies first thing)
19 - March is the Easter month this year, read again point 5 and avoid extensive drivings on 24, 25, 27 and 28 March next year
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 01:08 AM

Oh, I had fun reading some of these responses. Interesting how some of the Portuguese took such offense! Personally, I adore Portugal and think that the the Portuguese are some of the most gracious people on this earth. I do think that their driving could be improved, though. I mean...just check out driving in Boston. You do know that they have a strong Portuguese heritage (as well as many others, of course!).

But stats are stats.

We drive all over Europe (as we live here) and that was just our experience. I am not sure that it was so irresponsible of me to state that!

Anyway, the only other country that compared to Portugal was Hungary. There you hit the gas too!

But, I do agree that this should not stop you from renting a car and enjoying the beautiful country. Just be sensible, alert and drive defensively...but that is good advice anywhere!
Cheers,
Jan
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:43 AM

Hi SlowJane, I confess that after reading the first 3 to 4 posts I remembered Albert Einstein's quotation: "It's very depressing to live in a time where it's easier to break an atom than a prejudice". Anyway, I hope you found some fun in my post "how to survive in Portugal in 19 lessons"

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 04:03 AM

lobo_mau

Thank you for all the advice:

Re #3: My Michelin map shows roads labelled both IC and IP - is there any difference between them?

Re #12. I agree that sandals and socks should never be worn together. Unfortunately my husband does not, and I have never been able to convert him. Maybe the Portuguese will succeed where I failed....
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Sylvia

If you go to

http://eur
opa.eu.int/comm/transport/care/index_en.htm

You can see statistics for road accidents throughout Europe. The bit with historic data is interesting because it shows that everywhere has improved.

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 11:16 AM
machin

No Problem if you have driven in Europe before.

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Peep

We spent a week around Lisbon last Easter and absolutely loved it!!! Great place to visit and warm, friendly people. However, since you asked, I'll say that on the highways there were always some very aggressive, fast drivers. They'd come from nowhere, be on our tails then whip around and be gone. And we were driving in the right lane. We aren't wimpy drivers but found that a bit unnerving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -