Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving in Austria, Hungary, Czech & Slovak Rep.s and Poland: what do we have to know?


Driving in Austria, Hungary, Czech & Slovak Rep.s and Poland: what do we have to know?

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 12:34 AM
Posts: n/a
Driving in Austria, Hungary, Czech & Slovak Rep.s and Poland: what do we have to know?

I want to make a road trip through the above mentionated countries. Some books say you must have some papers, buy stickers or something similar -otherwise you'll have a fine on the motorways... Last year I drove from France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and back and we did not need anything appart of what we already had, and so, I do not know if those requiriments are the usual things we have, or we should buy or provide or something.
Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 01:10 AM
Posts: n/a
You do need a sticker if you want to use the autobahns in Austria. You can buy one at the border and it doesn't cost a lot. I don't know about the other countries but some form of insurance will be necessary, particularly outside the EC.

We rented a car in Germany in 97 and there was no way that they would let me take it to Prague. They said that would be the equivalent of kissing it goodbye
Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 04:46 PM
Posts: n/a
You can get the sticker for your auto prior to entering Austria (at gas stations near the border - there'll be a sign with the Austrian eagle symbol on it to alert you that they have them). You are still unable to take rental cars into the Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary or any other country east or south of Austria and Germany if they're from the usual big franchises (Avis, Hertz, etc.). You might check with other rental agencies to see if they allow it, otherwise, take the train in those countries. Most companies have other restrictions on what you can drive where, too. When we rented with Avis in September, only Germany, Austria and Switzerland had no restrictions. You are not allowed to drive a rental Porsche north or west of Germany and Switzerland, or to take Mercedes, BMW or Porsches to Italy. Good luck!
Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 05:11 PM
Paul J
Posts: n/a
We just returned from Europe 3 weeks ago. We flew into Munich and rented a car from AutoEurope, (actually Budget). We told them ahead that we would be going into the Czech Republic. No problem. We also drove into Austria where a sticker is required. Buy at the border for under $7 US. There may be some restrictions going into Poland and Hungary but if you call AutoEurope or other rental company and tell them where you want to go, they will tell you immediately if it's okay.It's true that Mercedes,BMW,and other expensive cars are not allowed to be taken into CZ.Your best bet is to call the rental company. Driving on the Autobahn is a real rush. Enjoy your trip...Paul J
Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 08:45 PM
Posts: n/a
Hi Neroni, I havn't driven in those countries yet although I plan to next year. You will need very good insurance. Typically, you are responsible for any value of the car over what the insurance covers. Some rentals insurance does not cover theft. Last year in Hungary, a couple stayed where I was staying and their car was stolen overnight between 11:00 pm and 7:00 am. This is a problem in central and easturn Europe. I would recommend that you take one of the steering locking devices with you to make it harder.
Budapest and Prague are beautiful cities.
Have a wonderful trip.
Old Nov 24th, 2000, 12:22 AM
Posts: n/a
But no! I'll just drive my own car. What I wanted to know was about what it was necesary to drive those countries -like that sticker in Austria, is it really so cheap? I had heard something about 40 $,- for instance, do usual insurances cover the Green Card, too? Best said, what is the Green Card, that seems to be necesary in many countries -although it was not in last years' countries -well, all of them in the EU.
Old Nov 24th, 2000, 07:21 AM
Paul J
Posts: n/a
Hi neroni:

Re: Austrian sticker. As mentioned earlier, on 10/27/00 I checked my records and I paid 15.50 DM which is about $6.65 US at the Austrian border.I believe it covers driving in Austria for about 20 days...Paul J
Old Nov 24th, 2000, 09:03 AM
wes fowler
Posts: n/a
Motorway subject to toll: Austria's motorways and speed roads (also city motorways) are subject to toll. The toll is effected by purchasing a sticker that has to be attached to cars'
windscreens. The annual toll is ATS 550. - for automobiles and motor homes (up to 3.5 tons), for motorcycles ATS 220. - For people on holidays 2-month stickers (ATS 150.-) and 1-week stickers (ATS 70.-) are available.

Infringements of the toll regulation will be punished with an additional charge of ATS 1,100. - or an administrative fine. Toll stickers may be purchased at automobile clubs in Austria and
abroad, at petrol stations and stores close to the border as well at post offices, tobacco shops
and petrol stations all over Austria.

The above was copied from the Austrian National Tourist office website.
Old Nov 24th, 2000, 03:24 PM
Posts: n/a
Be sure to contact your insurance agent before you drive your car to ANY of the countries you mentioned. You may or may not have coverage. You may have to pay a penalty premium. Maybe yes, maybe no. But be SURE! And get the agent's statement in WRITING!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information