Driving from Sorrento to Siena Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to take this ride for an overnight in Siena on our way to Villefranche-sur-mer. Long ride, but my husband really wants to do it. Anyway, do any of you have any suggestions for which roads to take which would be both scenic and rather direct? We are not interested in taking backroads or anything like that which may add time to the already long trip we have for that day.

Since we may take a side trip first to Gaeta just to see where my grandfather came from, we would like information from both Sorrento to Siena (w/o Gaeta stop)and Gaeta to Siena. We appreciate your help with this.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 06:37 AM

As always, use viamichelin.com to plan the route. The Gaeta diversion will cost you 2 hours, the primary route will be mostly autostrada. I would stop in Orvieto for lunch if you do not do Gaeta. Frankly, I would consider Lucca for your overnite--Siena is not easy to access and park.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, Bob. We already have a hotel in Siena and it will provide parking for us. Could you explain what you mean when you say that Siena is not easy to access? Do you mean from the autostrada? Would you suggest a hotel or two if we go to Lucca instead?
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 11:04 AM

We drove this route direct Siena to Positano and found it very easy on the Autostrada. It was about 4 hours if I remember correctly. We did get sidetracked on a scenic route that we should have avoided because it was very very slow. I would recommend the autostrada if you only have one night in Siena.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 11:20 AM

If your hotel In Siena is outside the walls then you may be fine with good directions. Siena is cool, but so is Lucca, and it is further down the pike for your next day. In Lucca, we like the Palazzo Alexander and the Piccolo Puccini--the Villa Romantica is a B&B just outside the walls.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Swalter518, although we want a scenic drive we don't want to end up caught in miles of slow moving cars. On the other hand, we do want to enjoy the scenery and ride to Siena. Four hours isn't too bad and if we add in Gaeta it would be a few hours more. We'll think about that one a bit more.

Bob, thanks for the hotel suggestions for Lucca. We'll have to take another look at a map to see exactly where Lucca is located. Right now we have a reservation at the Santa Caterina which is outside the walls so we do hope it is easy to find.