From Paris to the South of france

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and daughter in law are planning a trip to France in May. They plan on being in
Paris for 5 days and then plan on renting a car to drive to the south of france ending in Nice. Any suggestions for an itinerary for them?. What are some towns that really made an impression on you? iThey plan on spending 5 days just exploring the area. natjgc
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 12:33 PM

With only 5 days, I'd take a train to Avignon, rent the car there, spend a couple of days in the Luberon, drive to Nice and turn in the car and have a couple of days for Nice, which has great train transportation.
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 12:54 PM

It's up to them, maybe they just want a road trip and don't really want to spend any time in a city. That's about 1000 km total, or maybe 9 hours of driving, they can easily do that in 5 days.

I really liked Nyons and Grignan in the Drome. Le Barroux and Bedoin a bit farther south, Pernes-les-Fontaines (where I've stayed a couple times as a base), Roussillon, and Apt more around Luberon. To the W of the Rhone, I liked Uzes. I haven't really stayed in any place in-between Marseille and Nice on the coast, but was not crazy about Antibes when I visited. Too many yacht owners for my taste.

In-between Paris and Valence, I liked Troyes and Auxerre, but mainly for some sightseeing.
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 01:25 PM

I wouldn't drive. It's a long, long drive on highways filled with megatrucks, nothing much in the way of scenery, and the sun in your eyes the whole way. Plus very expensive for fuel and tolls - way more than a high-speed train. If they want to see something along the way, they could take the TGV to Lyon and spend a night or two there, then the TGV on to Avignon, rent a car and visit the Bouche-du-Rhône and Lubéron for a few days, then drive to Nice and dump the car.
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 01:39 PM

Just did that trip two summers a go and it was wonderful. Spent time in Paris and than took the high speed train to Avignon. We took a side trip to Provence (lavender fields were spectacular) and went on to Aix-en-Provence and spent two nights there (be sure to see the studio where Cezanne painted). We then went and stayed in Villefranche-sur-Mer (we had spent time in Nice before) and did side trips to Monte Carlo, Eze, and St. Paul de Vence. So many beautiful places to see. I'm jealous!!