Driving from Pisa to Venice-ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're first time drivers in Italy, renting a car in Pisa and dropping it off when we get to Venice. Looking for suggestions for places to stay/see over about 3-4 days in April. We're two adults on a mother (58)-daughter (30)trip and open to almost anything (without a lot of steps).
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Hello Jo, two cities which are flat are Bologna and Padova and they are both so charming and interesting. Wonderful food also! You might want to check out these two cities to see if they would be of interest to you and your mother. While driving between Bologna and Padova you might enjoy stopping in Ferrara for lunch and some time there. That is another city that is flat and easy to walk in without stairs/steps.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Verona is another city that is fairly easy to walk and the old town is wonderful. Romeo and Juliet may have been fictional characters but Verona will bring it all alive for you.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Some more possibilities are to take S343 north out of Parma to S420 to Mantova, then S10 to Montagnana, an amazing walled town, then to Monselice (although there is a pretty serious climb up to the 7 chapels), north to Padova, then onto S11 to Stra to visit the Villa Pisani.
Whatever route you choose, I would strongly suggest doing internet searches while you're still at home on the place names along the way. Our first road trip to Italy found us passing places whose significance was lost on us and they weren't in the guide books. It wasn't till we got back that we realized what we had missed along the way.
Another suggestion is to take the secondary roads; that's where the charm is. The autostrada may get you there sooner, but it doesn't always have the prettiest scenery.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Hello Jo, I sure agree with toni's recommendation to take the secondary roads when possible, and if you have the time to do so. You will see so much more than if you just drive on the autostrada. And yes Verona is another "flat" city that makes for easy walking. Have fun planning your trips, mother/daughter time together is so special.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 03:44 AM

I suggest to do not miss Ferrara.

Vincenzo
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:20 AM
ira

Hi J,

Will you have already seen Florence?

How long will you be in Pisa?

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Ira-
We will be in Pisa overnight, then heading west toward Florence (my daughter has been but I haven't). Trying to decide where to stay in Tuscany for 4 nights. We would like to be centrally located and make day trips.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 09:43 PM

What about staying in Sienna? Wonderful 3 starplus hotel called Palazzo (or Pensione) Ravizza, with a garden that looks out on Tuscan countryside and only 10 minute walk to the Campo. Some ceilings are frescoed.

I would highly reccomend NOT staying in Florence in April--too crowded. Better to stay in Siena (a magical city) then take bus to Florence one day to see the David.

I like Bologna better than Padova. Very nice if somewhat expensive hotel called the Orologico, centrally located, elegant, small with great breakfast.

Vey expensive very good lunch at La Chiusa in Montefallonico in Tuscany beginning with Prosecco and a small appetizer outside looking over Tuscany. Buon Viaggio