Reload this Page >

Driving from Munich to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Tracy

We will be in Germany for 2 weeks, and then plan to travel to Rome and/or Florence to spend 4 or 5 days. Six of us will be traveling together. After pricing rails, it seems like a more economical option to drive. We could rent a car for one week only, or for 3 weeks so that we can travel around Germany while we are there. Questions: Is it feasible to drive from Munich to Rome? How long would it take? How much do car rentals run? How much is gasoline in Italy and Germany? How does the insurance work? Sorry about all of the questions!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Rex

Yes, this is a fairly reasonable two- or three-day trip. I strongly recommend a 9 passenger van. I'll "top" for you another thread about minivans, which are too small for six adults (with luggage) most of the time in europe.<BR><BR>Websites you need to check out:<BR><BR>www.autoeurope.com<BR>www.kemwel.com<B R>www.its-cars-hotels.com<BR><BR>or www.travelocity.com<BR><BR>for rentals<BR><BR>and for driving assistance<BR><BR>www.viamichelin.com<BR>www.mappy .com<BR>or<BR>www.shellgeostar.com<BR><BR>Gasoline costs about 1 to 1.3 euro per liter (cheaper for diesel - - recommended) - - or about $5 USD per gallon.<BR><BR>The relevant question is what you are going to do with the van once you get to Rome. Is your trip over there? The drop charge from Germany to Italy will not be cheap - - but no SO bad divided by six people (hopefully under $50 per person - - for the drop charge alone).<BR><BR>My recommended itinerary would be Salzburg, night one (short drive, under two hours); Verona night two (six hours); that leaves you about 3-4 hours to Rome (if you drive fast - - maybe longer if you stay under 100 kph).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Tracy

Thanks for the reply, Rex. I called kemwel.com, and they can either lease me a 5-8 passenger Puegot (approx. $1585 for 22 days), or rent a 7-passenger van (approx. $1660 for 3 weeks, approx. $615 for one week). I would like to compare that to a rail cost from Munich to Rome for 4 adults and 2 children. Any idea? And, we do need to drive back to Munich to fly home, so I guess the rail would have to be priced both ways. I also need to figure out if I should rent for 1 week (when we travel to Italy) or for 3 weeks (when we will be located in Munich, and can take short day-trips to see the sights for the 2 weeks that we will be there). Any other suggestions?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Rex

Yes, at a little over $250 per person for threww weeks - - only about $10 per person per day, i think you are better off to drive - - but it all depends on what you plan to do during these three weeks.<BR><BR>This an "analysis" which could carry over dozens of questions and answers on this forums - - and in many ways that would be the best way - - many other people would offer opinions, and lots of people might learn something from the exchange.<BR><BR>Or for this particular question, I would be willing to speak to you by telephone.<BR><BR>When is this proposed trip?<BR><BR>E-mail me if you wish.<BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Tracy

We are going in July. We have booked 4 nights in Rome, at $180 per night (for 6 people, though that seems high to me)and may want to see Florence, so we figured that a car would provide more flexibility to see the country. Still, the cost for the car also seems high to me, especially when you add in gasoline. I am trying to plan an economical trip, but am not too successful so far!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Rex

$180 per person? or per room?<BR><BR>It's hard to plan an affordable trip in July, especially since trans-atlantic air travel double in price. Ground transportation and the price of meals does not change that much though. Lodging fluctuation is somewhere in between.<BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Tracy

No, the hotel is $180 per night for all six of us. It also includes breakfast. Maybe that is a good price.<BR><BR>Rex, is it better to rent a car here, or to wait until I am in Germany and rent a car for a week or weekend a couple of times there? I just spoke with Auto Europe, and they said for our week trip to Italy, it would be cheaper to rent 2 cars. But, I am thinking that with the cost of gasoline and parking, wouldn't one car be better?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Wayne

I'd caution against the 7-passenger van (which is basically a minivan like a Dodge Caravan) because even with the average amount of luggage, you cannot get all six people plus luggage into the vehicle. One possible solution is to rent a rooftop carrier if the rental agency can do that. Otherwise do as Rex recommended and get a 9-passenger van. It's bigger, longer, and uses more gas, but it's the only size that will accommodate six people plus luggage. There were some discussions on this site a while back about renting two smaller vehicles; in your case, you probably need two full-size or standard cars. In your favor is that the rental costs in Germany are just about the lowest in all of Europe, which might make it practical to have 2 cars. The cost of two standard size cars, I'll bet even without checking, will not be more than the one large 9-passenger van. For comparison, last summer I rented a Renault Espace van, which looks about like a typical U.S. minivan such as the Dodge Caravan, for four persons, and we could barely get ourselves and our luggage into the car.<BR><BR>As for driving from Munich to Rome, it's really an easy two-day drive unless you want to do a lot of sightseeing along the way. I'd go by way of Innsbruck and Bolzano, stopping for the first night somewhere between Verona and Modena. The second day's drive onward to Rome will then take about 5 hours. There are lots of other posts regarding insurance, so I'll only say that the majority on this site recommend you take the insurance coverage with no deductible, unless you are sure your credit card will cover all the costs in the event of an accident. Given all these considerations, if you will be in one place in Germany for the entire 2 weeks, it might be sensible to rent one large car (or minivan) while in Germany because you won't need room for luggage, then rent the second car when you are ready to drive to Rome. Hope this doesn't confuse you more than it helps.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Rex

If you have appropriate numbers of drivers (preferably four, at least), I agree that two cars would be a much better idea. For one thing, parking a nine-passenger van can be much harder than you think. Rules out 90% of all indoor parking structures. They don't build the ceiling tall enough.<BR><BR>Ideally, you won't pay the high additional charges of an automatic. It is not that hard to learn a standard shift automobile. Start today, if anyone needs to do that.<BR><BR>And see previous threads which I have posted here, regarding walkie-talkies, as a great way to keep the two cars in touch. Buy them there.<BR><BR>I'll top one or more of the walkie-talkie threads.<BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Maira

Tracy--- we did that route on May 1993 and stopped (briefly) at Liechiestein (sp?), and overnighted in Pisa. It was an awesome drive with great views of the German, Swiss, and Italian Alps. Loved every minute of it. Tons of tunels, though. Recommend the Hotel Europa, walking distance from the leaning Tower. Also, take your time, we were running behind and I would had love to stopped many times and couldn't.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 02:37 PM
ttt

topping<BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 04:51 PM
ttt

topping

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:57 PM
jahoulih

The train fare for an adult from Munich to Rome is 86 Euros; for a child, 44.50. So round trip for the six of you would be 866 Euros, or about $760. That would be cheaper than even a one-week rental, if you figure in fuel, tolls and parking.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Helen Donegan

Hi Tracy<BR>Can you tell me where the accommodation is in Rome at $180 per night for 6 people.<BR>Thanks very much,<BR>Helen Donegan

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Maria

I'd like to know about this lodging for 6 at $180 too!<BR>

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Tracy

Hotel Italia, in Rome.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 04:42 PM
topping

topping

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Gar

hi there,<BR>last year we neeed a 9-person-van and we get one for one days for about 50 Euro. (Dont know whether miles were free.) So I dont think 2 cars is a good idea. Even You need 2 drivers and pay 2 times the highway fee in Italy and Austria. Dont forget this. Austria I dont know, but You have to buy a ticket at the border. In Italy it may be 80 Euro from Bolzana to Rome and back. <BR>enjoy Rome<BR>Gar