Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Milan to Paris, any recommendations

Old Mar 5th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be driving from Milan to Paris and have 1 night to spend on route. Not to sure in

regards to tolls and fastest routes which way I will drive, but hoping to receive some

advice on which way to go and what place to stay. So far Lake Como, Montreux

and Dijon have piqued my interest the most, but would love to get some tips from

people who have been in the area... thank you in advance for the replies.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 04:13 AM

I would definitely stay and explore LYON. That said I remembered driving into Lyon and there was quite a bit of traffic. Regardless, Lyon is one of the most beautiful, interesting, cultural cities in France. I had 3 days there and every day was an amazing day of discoveries! I cannot even imagine not stopping by. Have fun! Be safe!!
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 05:16 AM

Another lovely stop would be Strasbourg, or if you prefer a smaller place, Colmar. From Milan, take the autostrada through Switzerland (40 CHF sticker needed to be bought at border), then either A5 in Germany or A35 in France to the Alsace region.
If you are getting an Italian rental car and dropping off in Paris, it will cost you a lot in extra fees, to the tune of a few hundred euro.
From Strasbourg, it's an essy drive along A4 to Paris. It's toll motorway/highway all the way, except for the short sections in Germany or Alsace.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 07:37 AM

I went the other way taking the route through the Mont Blanc Tunnel. Beaune is an excellent stop over.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your recommendations, in regards to the rental car I will actually be picking up and dropping off in Nice, I did see the extra fees in dropping off in another country are quite high.

Will be going in 6 weeks so I appreciate the opportunity to research some new cities and towns!