Driving from Granada to Madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a wonderful three weeks in Spain, we need to return to the Madrid airport for a Sunday 1pm flight. Our plan is to pick up a car around 10 or 11 am in Granada (on Sat.)then head out for Madrid, exploring a little on the way. We would like to get relatively close to Barajas airport by late Sat. evening to check into a hotel, then the next morning have time to get to the airport by 11. So....anyone have any idea of something not to miss as we drive north, or a great little town to stay at Sat. night, not too far away (an hour or so is OK---since it will be Sunday morning, I don't expect traffic).

Thanks so much for your input....I have gained so much info for our trip, from hotels to restaurants to great towns to visit.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Forget the drive (5+hours not including stops for gas and lunch). The traffic is always heavy around Madrid, even on Sunday. And there is a lot of roadway construction going on.

Drop off the car in Granada and take the train, the Talgo, back to Madrid, spending the last night in Madrid. You can be nice and relaxed and head out to the airport in time to catch your flight home.

Both terminals 4 and 1 are very busy.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Robert....

The only problem with the Talgo train, is that besides taking over 6 hours with loads of stops...there are only two that day...8 am or one that leaves after 5 and gets in after 11pm.

Since we only have one afternoon/evening in Granada, I kinda hate to leave for the train station so early...or if we take the later one, to get to the Atocha train station near midnight! Any alternatives?

I appreciate the information about the traffic and construction. I didn't realize it would be a problem on Sunday.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 09:10 PM

Are you there now? The almond blossoms are beautiful in the Spring, and the Sunflowers in August are heaven on earth. so, I would enjoy the landscape. However, on the way frmo Granada to Madrid is pretty bare. . . just a normal, uneventful drive that doesn't pass any attractions that I know of, not even good restaurants. You never know, though. . .
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM

If you don't want to do the train, then you can head north and spend the last night at the Parador in Chinchón, which will put you about 45 minutes from the airport. You follow the M311, connecting to the N III and head into Madrid from the southeast, which should give you easy access to the airport. Just keep an eye on the signs to terminals T1 to T4.

Chinchón is about 400 kms (under 5 hours) from Granada.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Robert. That will fit our plans well, and give us a chance (if it is not fully booked) to experience another parador! Is there anything worth seeing in Chinchon...or a restaurant you might recommend.

The train would be easier...but less convenient, time-wise. Believe it or not, renting a car for that one day will be less expensive than the two train tickets!

I am not currently in Spain; we will be there in May, and I am just planning ahead.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 12:49 PM

give yourselves plenty more time than 45 minutes for that route... any traffic problem on the m-40 and you will get nervous.

i prefer alcalá de henares.. which is STILL 25-30 minutes ( no traffic) to airport, but half as far as chinchon.
this is a world heritage site and lovely in itself.

chinchon is a sweet unusual small town, with a main round plaza used as a bull ring . many films have been made here. the parador is also the usual historic building with a lovely interior ( cloister) patio if i recall.

just make sure you get up extra early if you stay as far as chinchón, IMHO.
you do still have to drop off passengers with luggage at correct terminal.. return rental car, etc.. and get yourself BACK to that terminal.

actually.. an airport hotel is starting to look pretty good to me.. with a free shuttle. Tour all day long...check into hotel. then return the car late that night, take shuttle back to hotel, sleep in or have nice breakfast. take shuttle to airport for flight.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. Our flight is actually at 1:15; getting to the airport at 11 was our safety hedge. Both the towns mentioned sound great and I will do a little research, then choose between them and the airport hotel .

On another note: we will be in Marbella for two weeks. I wouldn't have necessarily chosen that long, but we are staying at the Marriott timeshare there with our friends, then they are staying there with us...thus the two weeks. We plan to fly into Madrid, meet in Sevilla, then after several days pick up our rental car and drive to Marbella. Over the next two weeks, we will do the pueblos blancos, MAYBE drive over into Portugal, and are thinking about a day trip to Tangier.

That brings me to my question as I have read both pros and cons regarding that destination! We have "talked" to a guide by e-mail who was recommended on the boards, and who is available on the day we wish to go.

Is it worth the expense, time, etc. to see this nonrepresentative part of Morocco? Of course we many never get back to even that little bit of Africa again.

Any suggestions about any of the trip will be appreciated. This is my first time on the boards, although I have read them for some time, and learned to use the search function well. What a great resource this is!!! Muchas gracias!
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:11 PM

You don't mention when you're doing this great adventure, but if it's in the summer, then Tangier, as well as Andalucia, will be very warm, something like being in an oven on a slow roast.

A day tip to Tangier is fine, but it isn't that much, and certainly, as you said, not a good representation of the rest of Morocco.

If I were you, I'd stick with Andalucia and Portugal. There is a lot to see and do inland and the coast west of Gibraltar is nice.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 09:16 PM

Polly - for whatever it's worth, even the Spanish tourist board says that there is nothing between Madrid and Granada and quantifies the drive as dull, boring and long! It's unfortunate that the AVE, the fast train, doesn't have service to Granada, but only as far as Cordova, which is a 2-hour ride from Granada. But I think that the train schedule from there on the AVE is more frequent and might suit you better and allow you to see Cordova, as well. It's a 1.5 hour train ride back to Madrid from Cordova, and you wouldn't have to deal with returning the car at the airport which is a real pain in the arse, but you'd still need to get from Granada to Cordova. I'm pea-green because I wanted very much to see the Alhambra, but the distance from Madrid with only 4 days just won't permit that. We'd need to overnight at the very least and it's tough getting back to Madrid for the return flight, so we'll be going to places closer to Madrid: Alcala de Henares, Toledo, Chinchon, El Escorial.

Good luck on your planning - just a final thought: I know you're staying at a time share, but what about cutting one day off your time there so that your return to Madrid for the flight home will permit more sightseeing in Granada?
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:32 AM

sandra3120, it sounds like no one from the "Spanish tourist board" has ever been to Jaén, Baeza, Úbeda, Andújar (Park natural de las Sierra de Andújar), Valdepeñas, Almagro (Corral de Comedias), Ciudad Real, Consuegra (the windmills of Don Quixote), or Toledo, all of which are along the route between Granada and Madrid.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:58 AM

couldn't agree more with robert.
i posted not long ago ( and cannot find it!!)a response to someone who said " the road from madrid to granada was long and boring" and I said "they certainly weren't very creative"...

however, the FASTEST non-stop route ( all these towns have a slight detour) is one thing. but all towns mentioned by robert are worth a detour if you have time.

in fact.. i might even check out of the timeshare early to explore this region.

www.ubeda.com
www.palaciodelarambla.com

( looks like great hotel! can't wait to go myself next trip there.)
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Consuegra is a worthy stop if driving to Madrid from La Mancha Region. Definitely recommend this as a unique photo op.

However, what you need to be very mindful is driving time on a Saturday around Madrid environs, add 1-2 hours for unavoidable delays.

Also, consider driving straight to Barajas, drop the car, and stay at the High Tech Barajas Hotel. They will pick you up from the airport rental car and drop you back in the AM, in time for your flight and free of charge. We saved time and money by doing this. We were also driving from Granada, but did had enough time allocated to visit Consuegra and Toledo.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:02 AM

For what it's worth, I agree with Viajero2: certainly worth a stop to visit the windmills! You can make a stop at either Consuegra or, a little farther out, at Campo de Criptana. It really doesn't take long at all, it's not a sight many tourists bother with because they are not easily reached by public transportation, and they do afford a unique photo op! They were a highlight of my trip!

We drove into Madrid from Cuenca on a Sunday and I was expecting traffic to be not so bad. And I was wrong. You would be best to try to find a hotel close to the airport and really relax your last evening/morning there. Just too many variables, IMO.

And I agree with Robert. There certainly can be quite a bit to keep one occupied on the road between Granada and Madrid. All too often one hears reports from others that something is "boring" and it is simply believed without experiencing firsthand. How sad! Not everything is riveting, but the drive is a nice drive. (long, though, so do be prepared for that!)
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to reply. I haven't made up my mind yet what we will do, but I definitely now have lots of options...even leaving the timeshare early to add a day to Granada. Didn't even think of that! Duh!! We have a room in the parador; don't think we can add one there at this date (for late May); is it worth it to have a room for one night then change?

Another option is to have our friends drop us in Malaga (after we leave Granada Sat. noon) as they return the orignal rental car back to Sevilla, and take the train from there. More and more we are liking the idea of spending the night safely at the airport hotel!! But the idea of the windmills along the way as photo ops is also charming. We will see............

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Are you sure your friends are allowed to drive/return YOUR rental car??? What if there is any problem with the drop off?

As far as the High tech hotel, the Barajas Airport has a hotel reservations counter. You tell them how much you want to pay and they will make the reservation for you, they will also call the hotel to come and get you. Highly recommend the High Tech Barajas.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Dear Viajero2.

Thanks for the concern about the car. We are renting it together in Seville, and both guys names are on it.....so no problem.

They fly into and out of Seville, we used miles to fly into and out of Madrid....that's why we are splitting up at the end! Staying at the airport sounds better and better. Could you give me an approximate cost for the High Tech Barajas?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:36 AM

I paid $125/triple at the High Tech Barajas, which turned out to be a very comfortable quadruple room. The hotel has a number of internet access computer in the lobby, a very nice pool and gym. They are about 5 minutes from the airport and have free transport from/to airport.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:52 AM

Here are some pictures of windmills in Consuegra: http://www.bamjam.net/Spain/Mancha.html

The castle next to these windmills is a 12th Century fortress and you can visit as well (I actually hiked to this castle from the side of the hill some years ago!).

I've been to Kinderdijk in Holland and while the place is also spectacular, the sight of the windmills in Consuegra next to the 12th Century castle is dramatic and quite unique. If you are planning to stop on your way up, pay close attention to the signs on the road when close to Consuegra, there aren't many signs for the town.