Reload this Page >

Driving from Germany to Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 02:39 PM
Sam

We are going to rent a car and drive from Darmstadt, Germany to Prague, Czeck Republic in December and need driving map and instructions of best route.What do we need to know about gas, speed,tolls, etc?

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 02:56 PM
wes fowler

Sam, <BR>Check either of these websites for plotted itineraries: <BR>www.cwlease.com or www.euroshell.com <BR>You might want to invest in the Michelin Road Atlas available at bookstores in order to familiarize yourself with prospective routes - scenic vs. fastest, for example. You need not worry about tolls, Germany's autobahns are toll free. Gasoline is expensive, $3.50 to $4.00 a gallon. You can save on fuel costs by renting a stick shift auto that is diesel driven. Diesel fuel is far less expensive than gasoline. It would be wise of you to check out the Michelin Green Guide to Germany for example, to familiarize yourself with some of the words appearing on highway signs: "Einfahrt" - Entrance; "Ausfahrt" - Exit; "Einbahnstrasse" - one way street, for example. I recall visiting a website that had illustrations of various European road signs and their meanings. If I can locate it, I'll get back to you.

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 03:09 PM
Sam

Thank you Wes for your help. I will try the web sites you suggested. <BR>

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 10:22 PM
Helena

Maps: I've always just bought those at gas stations. The Freytag & Berndt series seem widely available and accurate, but there are lots of others. Everything's reasonalby well-marked, so you shouldn't have troubles. Normally, I navigtate in Germany by looking for the name of the next city I will drive through, rather than the US-style of "follow I95 North." Signs in Germany won't tell you which compass direction the road goes, just the next one or two major cities in that direction. My first time out, I used the map only at home, and that was to write down the list of cities I was going to look for. <BR> <BR>Speed limit on the autobahn is either marked when limited, or unmarked (and thus unlimited). Only use the left lane for passing (!very important!). Right-lane traffic seems to cruise along at 120 km/h, and the left lane varies but 160Km/h + is not unusual. It's very dangerous to cruise in the left lane, and you should take extra care looking in your mirrors before moving from the right lane to pass -- the cars come up on you incredibly fast and braking suddenly to go from 180Km/h to 120 is quite severe. You might want to register two people as drivers, if possible, so that you can switch. If you're not used to this kind of driving, it can be rather intense. You really need to be aware. Once you're used to it, it's a pleasure because traffic really does flow much better than in the US. Slow cars just do not clog up the left lane, and no one will pass you on the right. Don't worry, but just be alert. <BR> <BR>I don't remember seeing any tolls in Germany. <BR> <BR>As far as driving route, I'd suggest: <BR>Darmstadt to Wurzburg, then to Nurnberg, and then you will start seeing signs for "Prag" (that's route E50). <BR> <BR>The road from Nurnberg to Rozvadov (the border crossing) has one long stretch that's not a highway and goes through some charming towns. You will find yourself needing to pass slow trucks on this route, so use caution. Parts of the road are hilly and lots of turns. Also be aware that drivers in this part of the world are manic passers and so be prepared to see some risky maneuvers. <BR> <BR>The border crossing at Rozvadov is a good one, I've done it many times. Have all your rental car paperwork handy, they'll want to see it as well as your passports. Also, be sure to check your insurance coverage in E. Europe prior to leaving Germany. The longest I've ever waited at this crossing was one hour, but usually it's no more than 15 minutes. <BR> <BR>The highway from Rozvadov to Plzen (in Germany they'll refer to it as Pilsen) is now completed and beautiful and empty and wide. The speed limit in the CR is 130 Km/h on the highways, unless marked otherwise, and 50 Km/h in towns (if you're not on the highway). On the stretch from the border to Plzen, I think it's 130 almost the whole way. <BR> <BR>When you hit Plzen, you're about 45 minutes from Prague. There will be lots of signs to Prague, and you'll have to follow a crowded ring road around town before you go up a big hill and the highway starts again. Again, it's well marked. <BR> <BR>When you get close to Prague, you'll see signs for "Centrum", and that's the best way to get downtown. <BR> <BR>Gas, I believe, is cheaper in the Czech Republic than in Germany, and all around is about three times as expensive as in the US. You pump first, then pay. <BR> <BR>Judging from the distance, I'd say that the drive, without stops, would be about 6 hours, maybe a bit less. <BR> <BR>Another route to consider would be Darmstadt to Aschaffenburg, then a smaller highway to Schweinfurt, then Bamberg, then near Bayreuth and up to the Cheb crossing, through Karlovy Vary, then an hour and a half along the Czech highway to Prague. The slowdown might be the Aschaffenburg to Schweinfurt section since it's not a big highway. Perhaps another Fodorite can give suggestions on route, or the websites from Wes can help. <BR> <BR>Oh, and once you hit the Czech Republic, you really do need to know the basic road signs. There's one very important one that is just a yellow diamond -- no words at all. If you see that, this means that you're on the "main" road and other roads, in the case of intersections, have to yield to you. If your diamond has a black diagonal line through it, this means you're approaching an intersection where you will no longer be on the main road (an intersection where you must yield). I don't remeber if they use that sign in Germany. All the others are standard, pan-European. <BR> <BR>Have a good drive! I might almost consider splitting it into two days and doing some sightseeing along the way. In the Czech Republic, I'd stop in Karlovy Vary... <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 03:49 AM
Mary Ann

Just drove last month from Rotenburg to Prague. Wes, as usual, is correct. We used cwlease for trip tics augmented by the Michelin Europe spiral bound atlas. Our hotel was not far from Charles bridge between old town square and Wenselas square. Our only problem was the significant number of one way streets and pedestrian areas in these districts. If you have hotel reservations, I suggest you contact them regarding parking and the best way to arrive at their location. Our hotel had an inner courtyard to park. This worked out well since then we just walked everywhere once we got to the hotel. By the way some streets suddenly dead end. Because we missed our turn a block from the hotel, it took us 30 minutes to get back a round, and this was after we accidently drove onto old town square. Prague is such a wonderful city, you will have a great time.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 05:27 AM
Sam

Wow! I never expected to get such detailed answers to my driving questions in Germany, Prague and Austria. A very special thanks to Helena and Mary Ann. You both have made me a believer in Fodor's forum. <BR>

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 07:57 AM
wes fowler

Sam, <BR>If you're planning on traveling through Austria, be advised that a windshield sticker is required in order to travel in cities and on main highways. Here's a quote from the Austrian Tourist Office: <BR> <BR>Toll stickers are required on all vehicles on Austria's motorways and highways. Stickers can be obtained from the Austrian Automobile Clubs as well as post offices, sundries and gasoline stations. Please note that stickers are also available in Austria's neighboring countries at gasoline stations, at borders as well as Automobile clubs. <BR> <BR>A one week sticker costs ATS 70. These stickers must be applied on the upper middle or left side of the windshield. Motorists who do not possess the appropriate sticker will have to pay a fine of ATS 1,100. Cars rented in neighboring countries may or may not be equipped with the sticker. Please obtain one from your car rental agency. <BR> Double check with your auto rental source to ensure you've got the sticker. <BR>Be sure, too, to advise the rental company that you plan to travel into the Czech Republic, so it provides you with the necessary documentation.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 08:01 AM
wes fowler

Sam, <BR>If you're planning on traveling through Austria, be advised that a windshield sticker is required in order to travel in cities and on main highways. Here's a quote from the Austrian Tourist Office: <BR> <BR>Toll stickers are required on all vehicles on Austria's motorways and highways. Stickers can be obtained from the Austrian Automobile Clubs as well as post offices, sundries and gasoline stations. Please note that stickers are also available in Austria's neighboring countries at gasoline stations, at borders as well as Automobile clubs. <BR> <BR>A one week sticker costs ATS 70. These stickers must be applied on the upper middle or left side of the windshield. Motorists who do not possess the appropriate sticker will have to pay a fine of ATS 1,100. Cars rented in neighboring countries may or may not be equipped with the sticker. Please obtain one from your car rental agency. <BR> Double check with your auto rental source to ensure you've got the sticker. <BR>Be sure, too, to advise the rental company that you plan to travel into the Czech Republic, so it provides you with the necessary documentation.