Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Dublin to Belfast after overseas flight?

Notices

Old Dec 26th, 2019, 02:06 PM
kc1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 4 adults who are planning on picking up our rental car at the airport in Dublin, and driving directly to Belfast.

We are beginning to be concerned about the safety factor of this plan due to jet lag, in addition to adjusting to driving on the other side of the road.

(If we decided to spend one night in Dublin to rest up, we would have to change some bookings we have already made for accommodations,, but that should be no problem.)

We would appreciate any comments and suggestions regarding our original plan to leave Dublin immediately.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 02:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>We are 4 adults who are planning on picking up our rental car at the airport in Dublin, and driving directly to Belfast.<<

Dumb idea - sorry

Either 1) stay the night and collect your car the next day, 2) rearrange the whole itinerary so all Dublin time is at the front end, or 3) the express DUB/Belfast coach. https://www.aircoach.ie/timetables/r...n-city-express
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 02:41 PM

Whether or not it’s a good idea to drive from Dublin to Belfast after your flight depends on a number of factors.

What time does your flight arrive in Dublin?

How long a flight will it be?

How much rest will you have gotten before your flight takes off?

How easy or difficult will it be for you to sleep on the plane?

How rested do you think you will be when you arrive in Dublin?

How confident are you in your driving skills?

It makes no difference what others think. It depends on how YOU feel.

I have no difficulty sleeping on a plane, have better than average driving skills and am not intimidated by driving on the left. My only concern would be I’d rather not drive at night. So for me, if my flight arrived in the morning or by early afternoon I would have no problem making the 2 hour drive to Belfast. Obviously janisj feels differently. The point being some people will tell you to drive to Belfast the same day and others will tell you to wait and drive to Belfast the following day.

Evaluate your situation, discuss the pros and cons with your travel partners and then decide what works best for your situation.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 02:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
RoamsAround: You usually give really useful advice -- but PLEASE do not suggest driving is an option!!!!!!! Very seriously bad/dangerous. Even if one 'feels' fine, flies business and has lie-flat beds, and 'has always been able to drive' means nothing. Micro sleeps are a proven phenomenon.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 02:59 PM

It could be helpful to know OP's itinerary.
If OP does not plan to stay in Dublin, there is no Dublin time to be shifted to the front end of the trip.
If OP plans to stay in Belfast and Northern Ireland only, there is no real need to rent the car already at DUB.

My personal favorite would be to take the bus.
With hourly departures you'll probably be on the road before you completed all the rental car procedures, took the shuttle bus to the rental car company's parking lot, and found your way to the M1.
And rent the car from any location in Belfast during one of the following days or whenever necessary.
If you plan to explore both, Northern Ireland and the Republic this could be bad advice, though, as rental car companies could charge a hefty surcharge if you rent in NI and drop off at Dublin airport at the end of your trip. You'd at least need to check the fineprint.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 03:17 PM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Might Brexit effect car rentals from the Republic to N.I.? In any case & jetlag aside, I agree with Cowboy1968 that knowing the itinerary/dates would be useful for issues/costs that go beyond the question asked.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 03:57 PM
kja

Driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and nothing you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit. Seriously -- NOT a good idea, no matter whether you sleep on the flight and no matter your prior experience and no matter whether you drink caffeine or anything else!
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 07:43 PM

Advise taking the express bus to Belfast. It worked very well for us. On a previous trip we drove directly to Belfast. It was not a good idea! We had to stop several times to change drivers... not one of us felt alert enough to drive the distance.
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you arrive am the bus works great. By the time you get into Belfast you can check-in. I would rent in Belfast for the northern part of your trip there and return there for no hefty return fees.
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 01:10 PM
kc1
Original Poster

Thank you to all for your thoughtful replies.
We had planned to drive directly to Belfast because I was having difficulty in fitting in everything on our “wish lists” during our 14 night visit.
We are now considering staying overnight in Dublin before heading off to Belfast, and shortening a stay at another stop. I have also been looking at tours of Northern Ireland, after which we would rent a car in either Dublin or Galway (depending where the tour ends) for our remaining time in Ireland.
I will start a new thread regarding our original itinerary, in hopes of receiving further help in planning.
Thanks again!
KC1