Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Como to Tuscany - Where to park for day-trip into Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody, the title pretty much says it all.

We're probably going to leave the Grand Hotel Tremezzo very early in the morning and drive to Montepulciano, which is in southern Tuscany. We will be driving a rental car, and there are just two of us.

Since Florence is right on the route, we're going to spend the day there! Walk around the city, have dinner, then depart. We will check into the B&B in Tuscany very late.

Does anyone have a recommendation for where we can park for the day? I'm hoping to find the fastest/best/easiest way to park. Cost won't be as much of a factor since we only have one day in Florence.

Is there a place where we can park in the city? Perhaps park outside the city and take the train in? We're city natives from NYC and know how to drive and park.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you familiar with your destination in Montepulciano? I ask, because you're going to be arriving late and in the dark which I avoid whenever possible, even with GPS, even if experienced with foreign driving, etc.

I'd probably park at Peretola Airport and take the bus into the city. You do not want to drive into Florence unless you know with absolute precision how to get in and out (in the dark) without going through one of the many zones where traffic is not permitted.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Park at the train station, it is expensive but central.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! We're first time travelers to both Florence and Montepulciano, and don't speak the language well. I'm pretty good with GPS and so forth, but definitely don't know the routes well.

What train station are you talking about?
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure Luhimari is referring to the Santa Maria Novella station just outside the historical center of Florence. It's a parking option many suggest. I wouldn't rely on GPS alone and would carry a good printed map.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/drivin...s_speeding.htm

Where the ZTL cameras are located.

http://www.comune.fi.it/opencms/expo...smo/ztlnov.JPG
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Parking Santa Maria Novella - first hour 2 Euros, second hour 2 Euros, third and subsequent hours or fraction thereof 3 Euros.

An alternative could be to park in or near Piazza Beccaria. It will be easy to reach exiting Firenze Nord and then following the inner ring road (Viali). It has the advantage that you are on the right part of the city to reach the Firenze Sud autostrada entry point for your onward journey. There is a very efficient bus service from Piazza Beccaria into the center.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Which month and which day are you travelling on? If a Saturday in July and early August there will be a lot of traffic from Switzerland, Germany and the rest of Northern Italy. Since you have satnav it may be a good idea to avoid getting on the autostrada until Fino Mornasco as there can be substantial queues from the Swiss border to Como Sud.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Parking at the train station sounds like what we'd like to do.

We are driving into Florence at some point in the 10am-1pm hour on a Thursday in June. I'm hoping that traffic won't be terrible at that time. We have a bit of a drive ahead of us, and are staying at a wonderful hotel in Lake Como. Our arrival time in Florence is definitely contingent upon when we decide to tear away from our room in Tremezzo!
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Bad idea !
First, do not drive into Florence. Either park at the airport, which is NW of the city, or drive up to Fiesole above town to park. And, get to Montepulciano before dark and have dinner at La Grotta.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 12:01 PM

santa maria novella is good spot.