Driving from Bayeux to CDG

Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Driving from Bayeux to CDG

Anyone know if I can leave Bayeux with a rental car early am in June, drive to CDG, turn in rental car, and make a 6:55 pm flight on Air France? What would be the best route? Would I be better off turning my car, Avis, in somewhere else and taking the train into Gare St. Lazare? Appreciate info.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:58 AM
jay

Yes you can. Do a mapquest driving directions and it should give you a pretty direct route. You should even have time for a couple of other sites. Turning in the car at CDG is prety easy.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:17 AM

While I personally don't like to make drives like that the day I'm flying, this would be possible. It's about 285 km from Bayeux to GDG going the fastest route, and you'd probably average at least 100 kph, so theoretically you could make it in 3 hours. You'll need to be at CDG at least 2.5 hours before the flight (it's a zany airport), so if you make a reasonably early start, you should be able to make it, and even stop for a nice lunch along the way.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:43 AM

You can do it but why stress yourself? If something goes wrong (unexpected delay) you may have a problem. Don't you want to have a relaxing end to your trip?
Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:46 AM

We haven driven from Bayeaux to CDG and stopped on the way at Rouen to see the cathedral and have lunch. This is very doable. But like the other posts have stated, leave some time in your schedule for unexpected delays.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:11 AM

you could even drive as far as les andelys, a charming small town on the seine, and have lunch at la chaine d'or and then have a look at the chateau gaillard. from there it's about an hour and a half to cdg.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:17 AM

I like Underhill's idea. Or even Giverney for a couple of hours. Start early.
Feb 11th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I'm considering this same drive - Bayeux to CDG ...I would love to stop in Giverny or another place on the way.

1. Does anyone have a favorite restaurant in Giverny and what would you do for the hour or so that we could spare?

2. Does anyone know how hard/easy it is to turn in an Avis car at CDG?

Thanks
Feb 11th, 2005, 11:18 AM

You just follow th Rental Car Return (Voitures de Location) signs when you get to the airport, and then follow the Avis signs once you're in the parking garage. There will be Avis employees there to check you in.