driving aroung lake Garda

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be staying in Sirmione for 2 days in May and would like to spend a day leisurely driving around the lake, casually stopping at various interesting places. Is this possible or is the drive too strenuous or long?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Lolo - No problem. It's about 3 hours drive all the way round, I think - so that gives you plenty of time for stops.

Lots of pleasant places to stop - Limone, Riva, Malcesine, Torre del Benaco ... to name a few.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:51 AM

I would call the drive challenging. A lot depends on if you have experience driving in Italy. This route has narrow roads with hairpin turns. Locals who know the roads well will probably travel at surprisingly fast speeds. You, as the driver, may see and enjoy little of the scenery, prefering to grip the wheel and concentrate on the windy road. On the other hand, you may be experienced and fearless about this kind of driving. (There are also boats available to make a tour of the lake.)

Sorry, I can't advise on whether you can cover the enitre route at a leisurely pace in two days. . .
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:28 AM

I have done that drive--more like 4 hours plus stops. However, using the boats is the best way to see the Lake. The NW segment of the drive is the only challenge--near Limone.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Totally agree with Bob above. My partner nearly freaked out in a couple of the dark tunnels that had hairpin curves inside them, and oncoming cars which didn't turn on their lights. That area in the NW corner was frightening. The entire east side was a breeze (except for some very heavy traffic). We never did the Southwest corner as we took the ferry back across to Torre del Benaco where we stayed.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:44 PM
jmv

wWe chanced upon Torre del Benaco just because we needed to take the ferry from where we'd stayed (the San Vigilio, terrific place) to the other side. Wefound it a delightful little town to explore and just sit around in and soak up the local ambiance. Nice, nice little place.