Driving Across France - Where to stop?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2023, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We have a July itinerary that has us needing to get from San Sebastian to Chamonix which is around an 11 hour drive. We can either fly from Biarritz to Geneva or spend 4-5 days/nights going across France and we're leaning towards the drive. Two main routes google maps shows me are a) going north and through Bordeaux and then East through Clermont-Ferrand, OR (slightly longer) through the south and Toulouse, Carcassonne and then north by Grenoble. We went to Provence last summer and di the drive up the A7 up to Chamonix. We're trying to figure out where to stop and what to see, I'd like to stop in one place midway for 4/5 days or have two stops (maybe 2 nights each?). So far we're interested in the Dordogne area, any specific towns to find accommodation that are recommended? Any other regions / towns that would make sense to stay in for a few days on this route? We're two adults with a 5 and 8 year olds. My kids are very active so anything with great natural scenery, interesting architecture, hiking is preferred - no museums. Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 12:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There are so many places to stop and things to see that I can't even begin to reply to your question.

But how about the Gorges de l'Ardèche?
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 05:16 PM

The quick drive has you going through the Dordogne area, which you are already interested in, plus Auvergne with Clermont-Feraand being the biggest city. Auvergne is an ancient volcanic landscape with deep green valleys punctuated by black lava outcroppings. Also called La France Profonde, this is a culturally fascinating area with lots of good hiking, imposing castles, and plenty of farms to visit. It is known especially for its hearty cuisine featuring famous production of cheese and lentils.

Orcival is a great place to stay on your route.
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 10:38 PM

Stop in Sarlat for 3 nights and visit Lascaux IV

https://www.lascaux.fr/en

Domme and Beynac

https://flic.kr/p/8vqNYL https://flic.kr/p/7U4Qbb
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 07:13 AM

Le Puy-en-Velay is also an excellent stop, less overrun by American tourists than Sarlat.
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 08:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Quite a few years ago we spent a week near Sarlat [in the Dordogne] with our slightly older kids and never ran out of things to do. Also with small children we always found that one long stay was better than two or three short ones. Not suggesting staying near Sarlat necessarily but the Dordogne is a great place for kids.
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all - will check out Sarlat and Le Puy-en-Velay
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 08:48 AM

If you go to Le Puy, then nearby Polignac is a must.
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 10:08 AM

The Dordogne has more to offer for children than le Puy-en-Velay which I consider worthy of only a few hours stop. The drive is also shorter, which could be a factor.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 17th, 2023 at 10:10 AM.
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Michael
The Dordogne has more to offer for children than le Puy-en-Velay which I consider worthy of only a few hours stop. The drive is also shorter, which could be a factor.
Ditto

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 10:30 AM

Funny, last time I spent three days there and found every moment delightful. Sounds like neither of you bothered to climb the stone spike up to the chapel.
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by kerouac
Funny, last time I spent three days there and found every moment delightful. Sounds like neither of you bothered to climb the stone spike up to the chapel.
Nope - I didn't. But that doesn't appeal to me. It probably would have appealed to me even less when I was a kid. We just wandered through the farmer's market, explored the village, and went into the church. We did enjoy the village and the setting. We will be back there for 2 weeks this Sept and we'll explore the region more. The itinerary I have planned for that region has nowhere near the "WOW" that the Dordogne has with all the caves with pre-historic paintings and stalactites & mites, rivers, castles, cute villages, museums, and activities for kids. Fewer restaurants than the Dordogne also.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac
The climb took you three days? As seen from the top:

https://flic.kr/p/7DbnA5