Reload this Page >

Drive or take train Aberdeen to Sussex?ndon

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2000, 04:06 PM
Candace

We are staying in Braemer for a week in July (timeshare exchange)than are going to another time share in West Sussex. Mapquest <BR>indicates it is a 15 1/2 hour drive we are reconsidering renting the car for a straight two weeks and thinking about taking the train instead 9 hours. If we drive we would leave our time share a day early and possibly stop in Blackpool (or is there a better place on the way) and drive over two days. This will be first time driving in Britian. I would welcome advice on what we <BR>should do.

Old May 28th, 2000, 04:29 PM
Julian

I haven't worked it out properly but 15.5 hrs sounds about right - that is one hell of a drive. You might consider flying from Aberdeen to Gatwick on British Airways, which is a one and three quarter hour flight, 4 times a day on weekdays and 3 times on weekends. But that will probably be rather expensive. It is my misfortune to have to spend a week of my life every year at one of the political party conferences (conventions) in Blackpool, and it is a complete dump. Some people love it, but it is terrible in my view. If you break the journey, I suggest doing so in the beautiful Lake District (Grasmere, Coniston etc) rather than in Blackpool. If you like Braemar, you'll like the Lake District.

Old May 28th, 2000, 05:18 PM
Tony

Candace.. <BR>I agree with Julian; there are lots of better places than Blackpool, but not many worse. <BR>If you are in a hurry, then obviously the plane or train is the way to go. The train is quite comfortable, and fast and there are some reasonably scenic stretches. <BR>If you decide to drive it is at least a two day trip, preferrably three. The first half of the drive will be wonderfully scenic, if you choose you route carefully. <BR>The Lake District is an excellent stopover area, and allow a little time to linger. From there a drive over the Pennines and through the Yorkshire Dales to York would be terrific.Try and stay the night in York, and from there you might as well hop on the freeways to Sussex, the M1 and M25. Not pleasant but it has to be done at times. <BR>

Old May 29th, 2000, 10:09 AM
Candace

Thank You! We have decided to take the train from Aberdeen instead and skip Blackpool.

Old May 29th, 2000, 10:20 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>For a thirty pound supplement per person you can board a sleeper in Aberdeen at 2140, and arrive at London Euston at 0748. You can find a luggage trolley, wheel it out of the front of the station down a ramp to the bus area, take a number 73 bus to Victoria, cross the road to Victoria station, and take the 0902 or 0917 to Barnham and Chichester in a little under two hours. <BR> <BR>Welcome to Britain. Please write if I can help further <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 02:11 PM
Sheila

Braemar is on my patch. Please conatct if I can help in any way. I wholly endorse your decision about the train, and in fact you might well do without a car in Sussex. But I think you will need one in Braemar. Incidentally I can't think of time share at Braemar (unless you mean the Craigendarroch at Ballater). Would you indulge my curiousity and tell me where you're staying.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 05:03 PM
Candace

Hi Sheila, I should have said Ballater <BR>we are staying at Craigendarroch. We <BR>are thinking about changing back to <BR>driving so we can see things on away. Another map site indicates 11 hours driving which we would split over 2 days and stop at WArwick and Stratford <BR>on the way to Balcombe. What do you think? I would love any tips on the area you could give me. Also a very basic question what's the latest supermarkets in Aberdeen are open on a Saturday? We are wondering if we should purchase the prepack they are offering us?

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 12:09 AM
Sheila

I have driven to Sussex from Aberdeen on a number of occasions,(also related to party conferences- see Blackpool above)and it's a hell of a drive.- say 12 hours assuming the M25 is not in blocked mode- that's from ballater not Aberdeen. You might shave an hour off that. <BR> <BR>But honestly, unless you haave huge amounts to carry, the train has to be a better option- either take the sleeper to London not to waste daylight hours; or enjoy the scenery of the East Coast main line. <BR> <BR>The lakes you can do from Ballater in 5-6 hours Stratford is another 3 to 3 1/2. <BR> <BR>We have 2 large all night supermarkets. When do you arrive in Aberdeen and how?

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 04:12 AM
Candace

We come in on a Saturday on the Dyce train at 17:30 and pick up a rental car at the airport. Right now we have reservations for a one week rental and a two week rental we'll need to cancel one of them. We were thinking we would have to drive from Ballater to Warwick and Stratford from Sussex or we could go there on the drive down. How far do you think Stratford and Warwick is from <BR>Ballater our estimate is 2 1/2 hours? Thanks for letting me know about the store we'll just stop and buy groceries <BR>after we get our car. <BR>

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 07:13 AM
Sheila

OK <BR> <BR>At Dyce (after you get the car) there is a large supermarket called Asda which is open till 8pm. To get to Ballater you take the A93 out of Aberdeen. Just south of there is Sainsbury's which is the best supermarket and it is open (I think) all night on a Saturday. It is certainly open till 8pm. You will get general merchants open in the little towns you pass anyway. <BR> <BR>Stratford from Ballater- 8- 8 1/2 hours I think

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 02:58 PM
Candace

We are still wavering on what to do. I have looked into train prices and it looks like the best I can do is 197 pounds for the 3 of us plus the cost or renting a car for 2 weeks is around 50 <BR>pounds cheaper than having 2 one week rentals of course the gas would probably <BR>cost 50 pounds anyways. Do they have last minute train specials that might be cheaper purchased there? I am a little leary how well we will drive on M25 after only a week of driving on the left side in Scotland. I really appreciate the information you have been sharing with me.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 03:31 PM
Sheila

I'll check it out in daylight hours

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 03:56 PM
Candace

You must be a night owl it's around midnight there and early evening here. If you have any tips on anything in the area that would be good to do please let me know. We plan to go to the typical sights Balmoral, the Castle drive, Whiskey trail, Edinburgh and Loch Ness. Anything else that's a must or just neat possibly off the beaten path? Hopefully, I can return the favor if you ever come to the Chicago area I live an hour from there.(Though you have a lot more interesting places to go to that are closer.) By the way it's myself, husband and 7 1/2 year old daughter.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 04:45 PM
Candace

Another quick question is the M25 likely <BR>to be congested on a Saturday and Sunday?

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 02:21 AM
Nigel Doran

£197 for three is too much to pay, I agree. Did you get these prices from a tour operator based at home? <BR>For a bargain, go to www.gner.co.uk or www.thetrainline.com for times and prices. Book ahead and you can get returns for about £50 each, with restrictions. Or phone them on +44 8457 225 225 ( G N E R - the train company that runs this route .)Or you could fly to Gatwick as suggested. Sometimes B Airways has 'World Offers'. The trains go to Kings Cross, and www.thetrainline.com will help you with routes and times and tickets to the other destinations from there. N B Apex-style tickets mean you must travel on the designated service with few opportunities to cancel, change dates etc.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 03:01 AM
Sheila

Candace <BR> <BR>trains not being my thing, will Nigel's answer do? <BR> <BR>I'll post from home about places to visit.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 03:08 AM
Candace

The 197 pounds was from GNER, www.trainline.com was 213 pounds for a super apex (for all 3 of us) the cheapest flight was 93 pounds per person. I have tried all the airlines listed under cheap airlines on this forum there are not many flights from there availale on Saturday July 8th. I would take the train if I could find a 50 pound per person fare.We had purchased a weekender pass through Britrail for the way there but they are not selling that type anymore.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 04:02 AM
Candace

Thanks Nigel I tried GNER again and she found a fare for 26 pounds each for Aberdeen to Kings Cross. What a difference so I booked it. Thanks for your help too Sheila and I would appreciate any area tips you have. I'm <BR>off to work now.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 07:02 AM
Nigel Doran

Gosh! That is cheap! So cheap that it prompts me to ask you: 'are you sure?' <BR>I would hate for you to have to pay more once you got here due to perhaps a misunderstanding. <BR>Interestingly, if it was via the phone it would be another example of the phoneline being cheaper than the website, even though I am told that should not happen! <BR>Pls. let me know either way. (I am a journo and like a good consumer story!)

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 09:50 AM
Sheila

Candace; <BR> <BR>Good days out from Ballater. <BR>Go to Glentanar on the south side of the Dee for a nature walk- take a picnic. Visit Glen Muick <BR> <BR>Royal Lochnagar Distillery does tours.(It's near Balmoral) <BR>Craigievar Castle <BR> <BR>Edinburgh and Loch Ness are both long days out. For Loch Ness go over to Corgarff (Castle worth a stop) and over the Lecht to Tomintoul. V. good whisky shop-better than the ones in edinburgh High St IME. <BR> <BR>Go through Nethy Bridge to Aviemore. Stop at the Osprey Centre. Maybe ride the steam railway at Boat of Garten. then up the main road to Inverness. <BR> <BR>Archaeolink at Oyne is a good half day trip for kids and adults alike. <BR> <BR>Aberdeen's an hour away- big range of shops, leisure facilities etc. <BR> <BR>Ballater has 3 first class restaurants- Balgonie House, the Darroch Learg and the Green Inn. The White Cottage near Aboyne is also very good. Other places worth trying include the Glen Lui. (and I recently met the owner and dessert chef at the new Loch Kinord Hotel at Dinnet and was impressed) <BR> <BR>Anything you would specifically like to do. If you give me the dates I'll check the "What's on" for you so you can plan a little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -