Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Drive Kilkenny-Ennis and stay for last four nights?

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 10-day May trip is starting in Dublin(4 nights), going to Kilkenny(2 nights), and ending somewhere near Shannon Airport. It would seem that Ennis might be a good place to base ourselves for our last four nights (we're trying to minimize one-night stays)to explore that area, and be close to Shannon Airport (plane departs 10:00AM Sunday, May 14. Yes, I know... we will have to get there early to return car, etc. Probably around 6:30AM...not looking forward to that.) Via Michelin route from Kilkenny to Ennis takes us through Tipperary and Limerick. Here are my questions: 1)What would that drive/roads be like? Interesting? Are there any traffic considerations around the cities? Any alternate route suggestions, or just stick with the michelin? 2)Are there other towns that would offer any advantage over Ennis? 3) accommodation suggestions are always appreciated; B/B around $US50 pp/nt. Or hotel... we would probably have to pay a bit more which is OK. I do have books and I check other websites. But it's the little details that can only be supplied by folks who have been there that really help. Thanks to all.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Left some relevant things out of previous post: travelers are husband and wife; and we will being seeing Cashel/Cahir at some point during our Kilkenny stay.(I'm posting questions for each leg of trip separately but maybe I should have done it all in one so I don't have to try and remember to include all the details each time! Still new at this.)
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:07 AM

Claire50: I like Ennis! A great base for touring County Clare: Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Doolin. etc. It's too bad you're not going to be there for the Spring Caeli (Fleadh Nua 22-29 May). In Ennis I have stayed at the Templegate Hotel (several times), Rose Cottage B&B (ask for a room away from the Pub), the Queens Hotel (3 * but very noisy) and Abbey Tourist Hostal. One good thing I can say about the Queens Hotel: when I told them I would be leaving at 5:30 AM they knocked 5-Euro off the room rate (breakfast charge).

I recommend the Temple Gate partly because of its large parking lot. They often have 3-or-4 night package deals. Paul Madden manages the Hotel. His father, John Madden is the owner.
http://www.Templegatehotel.ie

Our last visit was 'on the cheap' and we stayed at Rose Cottage B&B. Carmel Daniels got us a 7 AM breakfast so we could catch the 8:30 AM bus to Shannon
I doubt that you will find anywhere to breakfast at 6 AM.

The Cafeteria at Shannon airport opens at 7 AM, so if you can make it to the airport (about 30-min from Ennis) you should be fine. The Cafeteria is on the upper level - opposite side of the building from the Departure area (and Duty Free).

Traffic around Limerick City can be pretty heavy depending on time of day (and day of the week) but you should be able to bypass the City Center.

In Ennis, be sure to visit Cruise's Restaurant & Pub where you can enjoy 'Trad' Irish music every night (starting around 10 PM). It's next to the Queens Hotel on Abbey Street.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:39 AM

Kilkenny and Ennis are great bases. They are both medieval towns, so they have a similar flavor (but Ennis is smaller). Other places in Clare to consider would be Killaloe on Lough Derg or one of the towns in the Burren like Kilfenora or Ballyvaughn or maybe Doolin. Ennis would probably be my choice.

While in Kilkenny definitely visit the Priory in Kells and the pottery places in Bennettsbridge. I have a Kilkenny walking tour you can download at http://www.knockahopple.com/downloadkilkenny.html

Between Cashel and Tipperary is little place called Golden where there is a great ruin called Athassel Priory. Most tourists miss it and, like Kells near Kilkenny, it's self-guided, free and open anytime during daylight.

Between Cahir and Tipperary is the Glen of Aherlow. It's very scenic and there are some nice walks and interesting holy wells in the area.

Dundrum has the Plantaterium. A nursery in town has created a large garden that includes reproductions of standing stones, cranogs and other ancient Irish artifacts. It's free and very enjoyable.

There are a lot of different routes you can take between Kilkenny and Ennis. Between Kilkenny and Tipperary you can take some easy side roads. Traffic won't be heavy, but it will be curvy and a map will be useful (even the rental company's map should offer a decent representation of those roads, but I usually have an Ordinance Survey Ireland map handy as well). I'd probably stick to the main roads through Limerick...you might hit some heavy traffic as you enter the city. Just keep an eye out for the airport signs to get you through...then look for Ennis. It will all be well-signposted.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:46 AM

Four days in Ennis is a bit of an overkill in my opinion. Personally, I don't see the attraction of Ennis. Drove thru it 3-4 times, and it didn't slap be upside the head to tell me this would be a great place to stay, like for example Kenmare.

My recommendation would be to spend two days in Dingle, exploring that area, then the final two in Ennis, if you prefer, exploring the Loop Head Peninsula (The Burren, Cliffs, Lahinch, Kilkee, scenic drive out to the Lighthouse, Bridges of Ross, lunch in Carrigaholt, and/or lunch in Ballyvaughn (Monks Pub), Bunratty, etc).
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much Nedsireland and yesiree. This all helps greatly. Budman: have considered Dingle but have doubts due to tour buses on roads, as well as uncertain weather that can interfere with driving/exploring plans. This is hearsay, of course, since we have never been there. Maybe I should reconsider....