Drive Germany with youth

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Jack

Drive Germany with youth

Am planning a road trip with 12-year-old grandson to southern Germany, Switzerland, and maybe Austria for the end of the 2002 summer. Hints on sites, activities, accomodations, guide books, web sites... would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Art

I think that your grandson would enjoy all of Ludwigs castles in Bavaria. He would most likely enjoy the castle in Salzburg, especially the room with all of the weapons and torture implements. He is probably old enough to visit Dachau concentration camp, but I would prepare him first. Other things would include Garmish and the zugspitz, Oberammergau and Rotenberg with its medevial walls.
Regards,
Art

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 06:11 AM
wes fowler

Jack,
Congratulations on having the foresight to begin your planning now. For guidebooks, I'd suggest you visit your library or bookstore. Take a look at the Fodors, Frommers, Baedeker and Michelin country guides and see which you are more comfortable with. Look to at the Insight Guides; these may be of particular interest to your grandson; easy to read, magnificent color photographs. Write to the national and regional tourist offices for catalogs, brochures, maps and information re accommodations. Have your grandson do the same. (I can provide you with addresses. Email me directly.) Drop me an Email, let me know of your interests and those of your grandson and how long you plan to travel. May have some ideas and suggestions that may be of interest or value.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:04 AM

Sorry, no answer, just moving your REAL post above the nonsense that is taking up space.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Bill

The Grossglockner Mountain Road, an hour or so south of Salzburg. Incredible scenery and a surprisingly easy drive. Lots of places to pull of the road and gawk at Austria's highest mountain.

At various places in those areas, take ski lifts up and hike around the high country, then walk or take the lift back down.

If you spend some time in Munich, take a bike tour around town, such as "Mike's Tours". They cater to a very wide age (and ability) range. They also do a fun bus trip down to Ludwig's Neuschwanstein(sp?) Castle, with time for swimming and a luge run, if you want to take a break from driving. There is an immense technology museum in Munich too.

Sounds like you'll have a great trip that will very memorable for both of you.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:21 PM

Hi Jack,
We just returned from thsoe areas w/ our children,10 &15.
Our children enjoyed salzburg very much, The lake district nearby is fabulous, Mondsee & wolfgangsee were absolutely gorgeous. There are of course water sports and hiking.
Meersburg was enjoyed by all. it is on lake Constance - separating Germany & Switzerland. One can enjoy the lake via tour boats,or sunbathe German stlye- beware there are few who go topless!!
The castle has copious ancient weapons and armor(sp)dungeons...There are no cars allowed in the old part of town.
we stayed at a fabulous hotel called the 3 Stuben. For you there is great wine from the nearby vinyards.
The Neuschwanstein castle is a must for all ages. Not a lot of history really, but the sheer opulence is something to behold.
Have fun driving...get a good map and be safe.
Your grandson may love that they serve pretzels for breakfast!

Oh, if you have a car i would reccomend to stay in Reutte Austria for the neuschwanstein Castle at Gustof Zum Schluxen Our kids adored this hotel.
you can find more about this hotel in rick Steeves Website.
Have fun.

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 08:49 PM
Jack

Thanks, Art, Wes, Bill, and Anne for your ideas. And also thanks, Topper, for getting me back on top!

We'll likely be purchasing a car in Munich, so the drives you all have described will go on our planning map.

I've been to Dachau and Mad Ludwig's castle - and plan on taking Scott to both.

Still not sure which direction we'll take from Munich, though... Planning's going to be fun/

Thanks for your help, folks!

Jack