Reload this Page >

drive from Nice to Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 07:01 AM
LHALLSB

thanks in part to all of the helpful information i've gathered (having spent way too much time at my computer lately) from these boards, i've just secured a short term lease with auto europe for my France/Spain travels. my plan is to arrive Nice and then drive to Barcelona the next day in order to catch the ferry to Mallorca. i enjoy driving, and can speak enough french to carry on a fairly decent conversation...but my comprehension of spanish is limited to yes, no, please, thank you and i'm sorry. if anyone has any insight (travel time- 6 or 7 hours?), thoughts (how about that blatantly red license plate that screams tourist?)or suggestions(getting gas) to help ease a slightly apprehensive solo female traveler, i'd be most grateful. my return trip will allow a great deal of time and freedom, which i'm very much looking forward to. <BR><BR>thanks in advance for anything you're willing to share.<BR><BR>[email protected]

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Jason

We did the trip by car from Nice to downtown Barcelona in 7 hours driving time on good divided highways, mostly toll roads. There are quite a few service areas en route for gas and food.<BR>Because of heavy european vacationer traffic into Spain along the Mediterranean coast you shouldn't have any problems communicating in Barcelona.<BR>Make sure you have a good map to find you way driving inside Barcelona as it is a very big city with a lot of traffic & one-way streets. Obviously also traffic can be very heavy during the "rush hours"!

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Kay

We drove from Menerbes, France to Barcelona in June and arrived the day of a transportation strike. The traffic was horrible and the road signs somewhat confusing, but we found our way to our hotel with a minimum of problems. Just be sure you have good directions for Barcelona.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Lesley

If you need to fill up with gas in Spain, just note that the word for petrol/gas is GASOLINA, not to be confused with the very similar GASOLEO which is diesel.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:34 PM
LHALLSB

much appreciated!