Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Drive from Dublin to Glengarriff, Co. Cork in one day or make a stopover?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Meg

Hello, <BR> <BR>My husband and I are debating whether to drive a straight shot from Dublin to Glengarriff, Co. Cork in one day (which according to the Michelin route planner is 354 km - they estimate 5 hours & 13 minutes) or to make an overnight stop over along the way. Since we'll be arriving into Dublin on a morning flight it means the difference of spending just one night or two nights there (although we are flying home from Dublin so we could spend another night on that end). Part of me feels like it would be better to have a couple of nights in one spot to get acclimated and to see more of Dublin, but the other part feels it would be nice to see more of a the countryside and have a more leisurely drive. We'll be in Glengarriff for a week, then have two more days/nights before we head home from Dublin. <BR> <BR>If we do decide to make a stopover, where would you recommend? We were thinking of Kilkenny but would like to hear other thoughts. B&B recommendations are also appreciated. Thank you!

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Lisa B

Hi Meg, well that drive after just arriving (from where you did not say? is it a transatlantic flight?) might be a bit tiring. And be wary of the guides "estimating" hours of travel time, as you can always count on it taking longer to get anywhere in Ireland than you planned. My suggestion - as we did a similar trip, stay in Kilkenny!!! You will not be sorry. We stayed in 9 different towns, and Kilkenny was by far our favorite - just like a picture postcard. It is absolutely an adorable little town. We stayed in Dublin for the first two nights after we arrived. Dublin is pretty much like any big city. If you have one night there in the beginning, and one in the end, that will give you plenty of time to see what you want to see in Dublin. But, having the opportunity to explore Kilkenny, or some other little charming town, is an opportunity not to be missed in my opinion. If you get a chance, take the walking tour offered by the visitor's center.. short and inexpensive, but informative and fun. We stayed at the nicest B&B, very clean, cozy, pretty, nice modern ensuite bathrooms, and a great breakfast and really helpful hosts, John and Sandra, about 5 min. outside of Kilkenny. They can recommend good places to eat and good pubs. Their B&B is called Lunard House, e-mail [email protected], tel. 056-51889. What are you planning to do while in Cork? If you would like ideas, please let me know

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 12:35 PM
lisa b

Ooops, sorry Meg. It's Launard House, not Lunard House... also, one more suggestion, if you do stay in Kilkenny, on your way to Cork afterwards, you might want to swing by Cashel and see the Rock of Cashel - this was probably my most memorable site in all of Ireland, it is truly awesome and you will not believe your eyes when you come up on it and see it perched up on the hill - wow!!!! Amazing, amazing (sigh) wish I was there.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Cathy

Meg, <BR>That is excellent advice that Lisa offered. Just to add that 5 hrs driving is based on no problems or traffic jams etc - Irish roads on maps are deceptive always allow twice the amount of time to drive half the distance that you would do at home. In Kilkenny be sure and visit the Castle and you could, if interested in shopping, get some Nicholas Moss pottery. <BR> <BR>Have a great time, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:42 AM
Meg

Thanks so much Lisa & Cathy. Lisa, we are renting a house in Glengarriff for a week so yes, please suggest day trips! Some of our gang will be playing golf, but the rest of us are just there to relax and sightsee. How long do you think the drive is from Dublin to Kilkenny?

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Milo

Dublin to Kilkenny is 75 miles and will take just under two hours (of course it depends on when you leave Dublin with traffic). You can also do a daytrip from Dublin by Train

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Kathleen

Meg, lucky you getting a week in Glengarriff. It's a very pretty little town, and BAntry Bay is gorgeous. For daytrips, don't miss the lighthouse at Mizen Head (the rocks there are incredible). Also, do the 'Ring of Beara'--great scenery, and if you reach Dursey Head early enough, you can ride the cable car (the only one in Ireland). <BR>Visit Kenmare too, another great little village....

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Lisa B

Meg, <BR> <BR>The other folks who have posted give some great advice. Kenmare is a great little town, I would surely visit it again. The drive around the Beara Peninsula was a true highlight of one of our trips, amazing!!! Kinsale is also a charming little village. Gosh, you will just have so much exploring to do. A week is not a long time, so try not to pack it full of plans, as one of the best things about Ireland is that you can set out for a predetermined site, and find yourself taking side roads that lead to some other wonderful site!! I would recommend buying the Michelin Guide map (it's red). There are several "scales," and I can't recall which one we bought now, but it was the absolute BEST! It gave locations of smaller little towns that other maps didn't (this came in very handy when we got lost!) and also noted every town and site in Gaelic, as well as English (can't stress the importance of this, in some of the smaller towns, you will see no English signs). My earlier rec. of Rock of Cashel still stands, too. There is an abbey just below the Rock of Cashel called Hore Abbey, it is old and crumbling now, not a defined tourist site at all, but you get to see two wonderful Irish treasures this way! If you do go to Rock of Cashel, take the short and very, very informative guided tour, afterwards, you can just wander on your own. Have fun!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Meg

Thanks so much Lisa, Cathy, Milo & Kathleen. We are definitely going to do a stopover. I appreciate all your help with things to see around Glengarriff. Still two months to go.....

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:04 PM
Edmond O`Flaherty

When I arrive in Dublin from North America I go to bed as soon as possible due to jetlag.I don`t think it is safe to drive far after such a long trip,especially if you are coming from the west coast.