Search

Safety in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 10:21 AM
J.T.

Safety in Spain

My wife and I will be going to Spain next month for a three week vacation. We will be going to Madrid, Barcelona, Toledo, Segovia, Alhambra. I would like to know about any safety problems that is specifically affecting tourists. I was in Spain over twenty years ago and I am sure that things have changed since then. Things could be better or worse. I appreciate any help from fellow travelers about areas to avoid while visiting these places. Muchas Gracias.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Dali

Try your best not to look like a typical American tourist. I was amazed that hardly anyone wore jeans and/or sneakers. Dress like the locals. The crime rate is minimal - at least the Spaniards do not carry guns. Be careful in the downtown areas of the cities. In Barcelona, beware of gypsies on the Ramblas that come up to you and try to give you flowers and istract you. In many of the touristy areas such as Sagrada Familia - beware of anyone spilling something on you and trying to wipe it off. If you are riding the Metro, try to keep you wallet somewhere besides your back pockets and be very aware of pickpockets. I always travel with a back pack and after almost getting pickpocketed on the metro, quit taking it around the city - it marked me as an American tourist. Generally you will be very safe in Spain.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Judy

On"Travel.state.gov", it said:" In Madrid and Barcelona...growing incidence of muggings by gangs brandishing weapons and/or using force...". <BR>I have been to Spain many times,in Winter 1999,I was mugged at the train station in Madrid during daytime, lost everything(inculding the moneybelt under my colthes) and hurt pretty bad (police had to take me to emerency). In the Amex waiting for replaced credit card,it was long line up, a couple ahead of me, the wife told me it happened to them at the Plazza Mayor during daytime, the husband was hurt so bad he couldn't talk.The officer in the Embassy said it happened so often and same people got beaten so bad, had to stay in hospital for weeks.I know it doesn't happen to everyone, and most Spanish are very friendly (I do business with Spanish companies) but,please use extreme prcaution when you are in Madrid.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Capo

We went to Barcelona last March for a week. It seemed that everything we read beforehand warned about the prevalence of petty crime, specifically pickpockets, in Barcelona, but we had no incidents and no problems. But then, we wore money belts, *tried* not to look like obvious toursists, and also tried to stay aware of the physical space around us.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 03:12 PM
cheryl

There was a thread on this previously, basically the same info were given. Based on what I read, there is no rhyme or reason why one is victimized, I think it's just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is no way you can avoid it also, once you are spotted, daylight or nightime, crowded or isolated streets, moneybelt or not. According to a travel guide I read, one has to be careful of Barrio Santa Cruz in Seville (esp. at night in those narrow streets), driving out of Jerez (lock your car doors, windows closed), try to park your car in a guarded parking lot, be very aware of what's going on around you. What's worst is the fact that the police could not care less (this is based on experiences of crime/muggings victims, same thread). Now, I am thinking is Spain really worth it? First, so many people on this forum commented on how bad Iberian Airline flights and employee attitude are, now we are hearing these crimes against tourists. I hope the Spain gov. will do something this. In Italy, I heard/read so many warnings about crimes but we just had a very minor incident in Rome and we felt safe even going back to the hotel late at night that's because EVERYWHERE YOU GO, YOU SEE POLICEMEN PATROLLING. So, I guess the Italian government cares about tourism in their country.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Graziella

Hi, H\JT, I love Spain the matter in fact we are returning soon, however in years of traveling the only place were we have been robbed was in Madrid. They cut a little the right back tire of our foreign car , followed us and when we were busy changing the tire one guy distructed us while those in a car robbed us, ...two seconds..was enough they are professionals... <BR> <BR>All the above advise given by other readers is valuable, be alert, use a lot of common sense, don t let your self be corned and suspect of anything unusual, ....if you are in a cafe and you are targeted some kind of a scout will approach you earlier with any excuse, polish your shoes, sell you something,....if you are worth the trouble they will do the job later. <BR> <BR>Having said all this Spain is a wonderful destination in my opinion <BR>smaller cities are a heaven ...be double alert in Madrid and Barcelona and in the touristicspots. <BR> <BR>Go and have fun, you will, Spaniards are generous and charming and soon you will find yourself chatting with strangers sipping a drink in any b ar, ....buena suerte. Graziella

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Randy

I just got back from Madrid and <BR>Barcelona this week. In reading several of the threads I thought I should bring along my 357, but we had no problems. We rode the subway, trains, and buses, and did a great amount of walking. I left all of my credit cards and most of the money in the safe at the hotel. Only carried enough money for the day in my money belt. I think that Madrid and Bardelona are like any big cities. Don't put youself in bad places. Use your head. Don't stay out late at night. Use ATM that are close to your hotel. Don't wear diamond rings, or gold...leave them at home. Don't look like a rich American. <BR>We had alot of fun, but it is always good no matter where you go to use good common sense when it comes to your personal safety. Hope that you have a great time.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 09:34 AM
billy

I second Randy's comments. Whereever you go on this planet, especially US cities, you have to use common sense and not attract attention to yourself. Don't carry alot of cash, don't wear fancy jewelry, don't wander into areas at night you don't belong and watch your wallet. Madrid is a great city with great people. Don't be scared off by some of the alarmists on this site.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 09:55 AM
hmh

Having just returned from a trip that included most of the cities in Spain mentioned, I can tell you that, true, there is no rhyme or reason as to why certain tourists are accosted. We had the "flower-bit" tried on us several times; we were both sprayed with chocolate, followed by an offer to help, within 2 hours of arriving in Barcelona. However, we had read all the posts about being aware and the guy got short shrift. The 'I dropped my credit cards between your legs" with a partner going for your wallet" trick was tried on us in a Paris subway--the guy was lucky that I didn't have my umbrella handy--only my fist, as my husband, a very healthy, strong 70, gave the 2nd person some jabs he'll remember. We lost nothing in either instance, but it shows that it can happen to anyone, anywhere. We have traveled extensively since 1991 and this is our first experience. We have the $ belts, don't wear fancy clothes or jewelry, etc. So it can happen to anyone. Are we going to quit traveling--no. We just know that these things can happen--in any city. One thing--women, do not wear your bag on your shoulder--either wear it across your body, wear one of the "despised" belt bags (which I always use) or just keep a bit of $$ in your pocket. Keep everything else in a $$ belt or leave in hotel safe. We saw several purse snatchings in Barcelona--fortunately the perpetrators were caught. We had a wonderful trip--two tours--30 days--and mostly will remember the good things--the other tings are great stories for sharing with friends.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 06:19 PM
gloria

I booked my tickets and hotel for my Spain trip in summer. I am a bit worried know eventhoug I do take all the precautions mentioned above. Although I am hispanic, I doubt people will mistake me for a local when one of us will be carrying a camera and another a camcorder. What should one do? Not take my camcorder on this trip? What are your suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 04:37 AM
J.T.

I would like to thank everyone who provided me with valuable advise on this website. I will try to keep alert as much as possible but as Gloria said on the previous posting it would be hard to hide the fact that you are an American tourist if you have a camera and a camcorder. Having grown-up taking the NY city subway I hope that I would be able to detect a set-up mugging before it happens. In the 30 years that I rode the NYC subway, I never saw an actual armed robbery but I did witness several snatchings and pickpockets. The spilled chocolate and flower distraction routine is not yet happening in NYC. Perhaps the criminals here have not yet learned the technique. Again thanks to everyone who sent a posting.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 04:53 AM
xxx

Gloria that is something that I think about too. I will also be going to Spain in the summer and I would hate to leave my camcorder and miss out on capturing on film our travel experiences. Any suggestions on how to hide my camcorder and camera. Thanks.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 11:17 AM
mary lewis

We just got back from 2 weeks in Madrid and Andalucia. We had no safety problems. We were surprised at how many people (locals) were dressed in jeans but still very few in white tennis shoes. We used a backpack but did so wisely - we could have afforded to lose about anything in it - kept valuables in hidden pockets, money belt. Didn't have any of the "tricks" played on us - didn't see any crime either. Just be smart and don't forget where you are and where your belongings are at all times. I would say the place we felt the least safe was in Granada, down the hill from the Alhambra. On the Alhambra hill (we stayed at Parador) we felt very safe but down in the city - it was as dirty a place as we saw with many "interesting" looking people. But once again nothing happened to us!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 11:35 AM
Julie

I felt very safe in all of those places last winter. "Gypsies" were not aggressive like in Italy. But I still only bring disposable cameras on vacations, why take the chance?