Dressing in Europe--for men

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dressing in Europe--for men

Just spent four weeks in Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Sweden, Finland and Estonia and I have a few suggestions on how men should dress in Europe.

If it is sunny out, white is a very popular color. White linin pants or shorts that go just below the knee are everywhere. I realize that linin is not a good travel item in a suitcase, perhaps that is how they can tell the locals from the tourists.

Make sure you don't put anything in your pants pockets. If you have a bulge in your pants, it should not be from something in a pocket. Therefore, you will need a purse. Yes, men in Europe have a purse for that cell phone, wallet, etc. They don't put it in their pockets.

White soccer shoes are popular--especially it Italy.

Finally you will need a pink shirt. Yes, pink is everywhere in Europe on men.

I suggest you have a little 5:00 o'clock shadow action on the facial hair. You don't want to look too pretty.

If it is raining, wear dark clothes. After all, you know what happens to white pants when they get wet!
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:35 AM

"White soccer shoes are popular--especially it Italy."

Are you sure you mean 'soccer shoes'? What we'd call 'soccer shoes' (i.e. football boots) have hard plastic soles and studs on the bottom, for running around on grass! You certainly couldn't wear them to walk around in.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:47 AM

You know, in 26 countries I didn't see one pink T-Shirt...

Though thats not the first time I have heard someone say that...
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 02:08 AM

"Yes, men in Europe have a purse for that cell phone, wallet, etc. They don't put it in their pockets."

You're talking nonsense, very few men carry a purse, known as a handbag (or even 'manbag') in Europe. Ninety per cent of the time, such items will be in their pockets or a "partner's" (girlfriend/wife/etc.) handbag.

As for "white soccer shoes", these have always been available, and I think that you're confusing other white sports shoes with this style. I am never a fan of these, I never think they look quite right, but muddied up a bit, and in the right style, some people can more or less get away with them.

As for pink, it hasn't featured much this season at all, but of course in summer it will usually make some sort of an appearance. Last summer was definitely far more "pink" than this one...Dior Homme last year produced salmon pink leather blazers, and shirts...Dries van Noten did pale pink shirts, etc. etc. If we're talking non-runway stuff, then Italian men will always be seen in a classic pink shirt..some of them at any rate.

As for wearing dark clothes in the rain, it's more to do with psychology that a dark sky implies darker clothes..of course some people never make such connections and simply go by the temperature!
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 02:26 AM
AllyPally

I think I know what type of shoes you mean. They're not as popular in the UK but definitely on the continent.

I know this is a bit controversial but I came out of the office yesterday and ran into three American men walking along the street in Mayfair. They were all dressed like college students, even though they looked to be in their 30s: bermudas, polo shirts, baseball caps, sneakers. I was really struck by how juvenile they looked, like they had just stepped out of their fraternity.

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 02:52 AM

And here's me in my dark blue trousers and blue striped Eddie Bauer shirt, black socks and black shoes, with my phone, wallet, keys and money all in my trouser pockets. No wonder I've been a misfit all my life. Send for the community fashion nurse immediately!
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 05:15 AM

We've lived in Europe for 8+ years and my half-German/half-British husband doesn't even own a pair of white slacks and if he did, he'd never wear them. I can't remember the last time I saw men in our UK suburban town wear white slacks.
And as MK2 said, pink seems on the way out for men this year. Saw far less of it than last year.
As for the whole "man purse" thing, while my husband steadfastly resists the idea, he's grudgingly beginning to understand why some men do. He's got to carry his reading glasses, his sunglasses, his Blackberry, his book to read at cafes, digital camera, etc. on our outings. In winter he can stuff everything into his coat pockets, but in summer, he has to rely on me to play pack mule for some of it.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Men and purses: Men carry 'purses' that may house a radio control panel as well as their car papers.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I love these clothing posts, especially when everybody notices completely contradictory things.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Oh I am sure wally3949 is pulling your leg!! This is a funny tongue in cheek joke, n'est pas?

I thought the post was going to be how women should dress to attract men in Europe!!!?? LOL
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:42 AM

European men carry handbags? No they don´t. I wish they would so I would not have to carry everything, but my males say that a purse would make them look gay.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:34 AM

Daypacks or satchels, maybe:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1808518,00.html
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 05:08 AM

How about pink linen PANTS? For men.

Popular, or not?
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 05:14 AM

I think Wally is having a little fun.

My personal nightmare is to go to Europe with DH and have him emerge from the bathroom dressed in white "linin" capris, sandals, a pink bodyshirt, carrying a purse or messenger bag. Just SHOOT ME NOW!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 06:57 AM

This paranoia with what to wear in Europe has to stop!!. Ya know folks it really doesnt matter what you wear when you come here, just enjoy your trip and bring home nice memories.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:02 AM

I've been carrying a "purse" around here in the U.S. for about 4 years. Actually, I took it with me to Paris and Ireland in 2003. The only people to ever say anything negatively about it are my friends, giving me a hard time. Admittedly, it's not carried like a purse (over one shoulder) but more like a messenger bag (across the body on opposite shoulder).

It's probably not something you'll see a lot of olde rmen doing, but it really is practical. I hate having bulgey pockets - walking around looking like an aroused 14 year old.

And to anyone who think it's too girly: Remember Indiana Jones? He carried a "purse" too.

When I travel I lock together the zippers on it, just so no one can slip a hand in when I'm not paying attention. Just use a lightweight combination lock.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

I carried my backpack like it was a purse--I have to admit. Unfortunately, a backpack isn't very dressy for going out at night. I did see a lot of men carrying a purse--or whatever you want to call it. Keys, coins, cell phones, wallet--one needs to put them somewhere.

Most Europeans are pretty laid-back people. Wear what you want because nobody really cares.