dress for dining out

Feb 21st, 2001, 09:44 PM
john

dress for dining out

Nothing like beating a dead horse. How would you characterize the dress for more expensive restaurants? Should a man wear a jacket and tie? Smart asses need not respond.

Feb 22nd, 2001, 03:26 AM
x

depends where....

Feb 22nd, 2001, 03:31 AM
Tony Hughes

A smart shirt (no tie) should suffice with dress trousers unless it's somewhere that stipulates 'DJ must be worn'. Dress shoes, too.

Feb 22nd, 2001, 03:46 AM
sylvia

I'd say that you can't go wrong with a jacket and tie. Some expensive restaurants actually keep jackets and ties to lend to customers, but why be humiliated?

Feb 22nd, 2001, 03:51 AM
Gigi

Good Morning, John and Tony,

Personally, I like the tie in better restaurants, but, Tony knows best.

How many days before you leave for the US, Tony? It can't be many? We are looking forward to your kilt!
Gigi

Feb 22nd, 2001, 03:52 AM
xxx

Au contraire, the smart asses are very much driven by a NEED to respond.

Feb 22nd, 2001, 04:01 AM
Tony Hughes

Just finished lunch over this way, Gigi.

I'm not often at expensive restaurants but in my experience it's bad form to turn up at one in espadrils and a t-shirt with 'HARD ROCK CAFE - ORLANDO' on it.

9 days, Gigi. Oh and if anyone is thinking about robbing my apartment whilst I'm away, do tidy up after yourself, it's in one heck of a mess. Sadly, Gigi, you will not see me in my kilt so I'll make sure i get a couple of pics on the digital camera, ok?

Feb 22nd, 2001, 04:09 AM
Mary Ann

It seems like in Europe if you dress more (ie including tie) it is never out of good taste. A tie takes so little room in a suitcase, ususally they have a flat zipper area, its an easy fix. Let's face it, if you should ever feel over dressed with it, just go to the rest room and remove it.
Also most even 21 inch suitcases now have the garment bag that is perfect for a jacket.
Besides, during a trip it is nice to get occasionally dressed up!

Feb 22nd, 2001, 04:28 AM
Rex

For me, a blazer (or any other similar jacket) provides the poorest "bang for the buck" (amount of time I wear it for the amount of space it takes up) of anything I put in my suitcase.

And yet, I take one over half the time, and I am almost always glad I did. I can't ever remember taking one and NOT wearing it. I think this would apply almost as well to women as men.

Perhaps it goes to indicate that the experiences you have IN a jacket - - though they may be short or infrequent - - have a high "memorable" value (nice restaurants, shows, etc).

Or maybe it sets the tone for good experiences OUT OF the jacket... afterwards... (wink)

Feb 22nd, 2001, 06:34 AM
Gigi

Tony, only nine days! I don't know if we are ready for you! A digital camera and a post on the web. It'll have to do, I'm afraid...oh, well, there's always Paris!

I

Feb 22nd, 2001, 09:00 AM
Bob

I do take a jacket and a pair of dockers. But I find that if a restaurant requires a tie than I can't aford it anyway. So it don't worry about a tie.

Feb 22nd, 2001, 01:43 PM
john

thanks for the info.